Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2424. Good/Bad/Otherwise?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a table saw tos tart out my wodshop I'm going to be starting and am lokoing for any advice anyone has to give.

I've looked at saws such as Craftsman 22849, Jet JWTS-10JF, Ridgid TS2424. The Craftsman and the Ridgid seem very similar in design and features but the Ridgid has the lifetime warranty which is nice.

Can anyone post their personal experiences with this saw and anythign they like or don't about it? Or other saws in the same price range ($500 - $600).

Also, I saw a topic about 220v vs 110v. Standard wiring in a house is 110 right? And the saw right out of the box is setup for 110 right? Just want to make sure since I rent and can't make changes like that to my basement. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
    --Mike

I don't know anything about the Craftsman 22849.

Between the JWTS-10JF and the TS2424, I picked the Ridgid. Still would, but there are a lot of people who'd disagree.

I prefer the TS2424's webbed cast iron wings to the Jet stamped steel ones. In a decidely unpopular opinion, I also prefer them to the solid cast iron wings of the JWTS-10CW models, as featherboards and other aids are very difficult to attach to a solid cast wing.

Neither has a fence that will entirely set the world on fire. The Jet's is an old, very basic design, front lock only. The Ridgid is front and rear locking, which has a couple advantages and a disadvantage. Advantage goes to more solidity (you can deflect the Jet with moderately high pressure, the Ridgid won't), and the Ridgid won't lift when using hold-downs. Disadvantage to the Ridgid is that, like any rear-locking fence, it can lock down crooked. The proper procedure to lock it is very simple, push back on the head and then lock it. Nonetheless, I read complaints that the fence locks down improperly. One has to be able to follow the directions, you know?

The Ridgid guard/splitter assembly is vastly better than Jet's. Ridgid owners who remove the guard and don't replace it have little excuse.

I prefer Ridgid's cast iron cradle to the Jet's rod design. Some complain of the "aluminum trunnions" of the Ridgid. I have not heard of anyone wearing out any tablesaw's trunnions, so I don't understand the objection. Jake will correct me if wrong, but they aren't aluminum, they're zinc. Ridgid has a proper trunnion lock for holding a blade tilt, other brands use an adjustment wheel lock instead.

Ridgid tilts left, which I prefer. I could argue either side of the tilt debate, though.

Jet uses a TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor. Theoretically, this is good because dust won't get into the guts of it. In practice, I cannot imagine how many tablesaws have been built over the years with ODP motors like the Ridgid has, without problems. Probably not a bad idea to vacuum the motor out periodically, though.

The new TS2424 rear trunnion is, to my knowledge, the only in the world of contractor's saw that acknowledges that the standard design is idiotic. The recommended way of fine-adjusting the rear trunnion is to beat it with a 2x4.

Getting down to the "small stuff". Ridgid's manual is unbelievably good. I have occasionally recommended to owners of other makes to download the TS2424 manual as an introductory text to proper tablesaw setup and use. I've never read the Jet tablesaw manual, but my 18" bandsaw, dust collector, and air filter from Jet are all mediocre. Their planer-moulder manual is fairly good.

I wish I had the new Herculift mobile base, it's a beauty. My TS2424 is a "model 0", with a different style base. Even if you don't intend to move the saw often, a mobile base is mighty handy the once or twice you might need to. Dragging a saw around on its legs is brutal, I would completely realign one that had been done to.

Probably the biggest drawback Ridgid has is that, for years, Emerson built the Craftsman tablesaws. Craftsman is not a particularly well thought-of brand, especially in the on-line community. Ridgid suffers from association in this regard.

Geez, you probably didn't expect a book in response, did you?

Dave

Comment

Nope, didn't expect a book, but Thanks! I've been looking at Table saws for waht seems like an eternity and kept changing my mind because someone said something bad about this, or someone else said something bad about that. I've finally narrowed it down to the saw I'm 95% sure I'm getting which is thw 2424.

Now let's hope others post their experiences just to sway me up that extra 5%.

Thanks,
      --Mike

Comment

I am fairly new to woodworking myself. Having purchased my first home and wanting to make lots of changes/repairs/improvements, I discovered I had a big interest in woodworking. I did a lot of research myself and I found the TS2424 to be the best value and quality. From what I've read elsewhere on this site, Ridgid used to make a saw for Craftsman but they are now merely cheap overseas copies.

The warranty is great. I have had no problems with misalignment of the fence or anything else. The saw will cut so accurately you could use it for edge joining.

It is really easy to adjust everything to get it in perfect alignment and I've found no component that I thought was substandard in design or manufacture. Like Dave said, the manual is excellent.

The saw IS set up for 110 out of the box.

I have the TS24241 with the Herculift. I would get that one. It makes moving that heavy saw around the shop a breeze.

I second Dave's opinion on the webbed wings. It makes clamping jigs and accessories like featherboards a lot easier.

I would also recommend getting this book for beginners:

"The Table Saw Book" by Richard J. de Cristoforo. ISBN 0830627898. It is well written with lots of photos (not bad drawings) and has a few great jig ideas in it.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the testimonials. That much more reliable info than just myself spouting off at the good points of a RIDGID saw.

kelemvor:No matter what brand saw you buy you are welcome to stop in here for any advice you seek.

Comment

Like George, I'm new to the world of woodworking, as well. I still have more questions than answers and do more things wrong than right.

However, I do think my decision to buy the TS2424 was the right one. I don't know if there is a better value out there. I'm big on value. Yeah, Delta may be the best and Craftsman may be the cheapest, but my concern was value.

The TS2424 offers cast iron wings (love 'em), a smooth-running motor (passes the nickle test with ease), a better than average fence, and the unbeatable Herc-U-Lift (I have a small portion of the garage for a "shop" so this is invaluable). On top of the product is the service. I had a minor flaw with the miter gauge, called customer service, had the part in 2 days. No questions; just results. I hope, as I grow, that this saw will grow with me.

That being said, I've had some problems getting the blade parallel to the miter slot which seems to be the problem that comes up the most. Patience seems to be the secret there.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!

Comment

Kelemvor,

Let me just add my .02 worth. I have had the 2424 for almost a year, and have not regretted it for a moment. I had the opportunity at a woodworking show to compare the 2424 to the JWTS-10JF, and as far as I am concerned there is no comparison. IMO, unless you are willing to spend $300 - $400 more on a saw, it is the best in class. My experience has been nothing but good. I bought a dial indicator to help set it up, and I was easily able to get both the blade and fence parallel to the miter slot to +/- .001 with ease. I checked it for the first time the other night because I was getting poor quality cuts. Not the saw, both settings were exactly where i set them. turned out to be a dull blade. If I were to do it again, I would make the same choice again without hesitation. BTW, one of the things that I have heard complained about is only having 24" rip capacity. This is so easy to reconfigure it is not even an issue. I set mine up to have 36" right and 12" left of the blade by sliding the fence rails to the right 12" and repalcing the measuring tape. E-mail me and I can send you details if you would like

-Rob
              -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

Mike, I think you are suffering from what is known as paralysis from analysis. You can nickel and dime features from one saw to another until you are blue in the face. This truly is like buying a car (pickup) . The more people you ask, the more opinions you will get. As you know, fierce brand loyalty exists with many car buyers. The same exists in woodworking tools. As you can see by the testimonials, people that have purchased Ridgid TS 2424's are very well satisfied.

I have been using mine for about a year. I have absolutely no complaints. Almost more importantly, from what I have seen on this forum I am confident that if I did have a problem. Ridgid would take care of it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                Dick

Comment

Here's my bit.

I had a Ryobi BT-3000 table saw for years and liked it a lot. Decided to try a "big boy's" contractor saw and decided on the Rigid. My only mistake was waiting so long!!! Gave the Ryobi to a brother-in-law and haven't regreted it once. Only thing I miss is a longer fence (for trimming cabinet sides). The quiet is one thing, but the smoothness is the best. Just finished a cherry cradle for first grandchild and plan on having this Table saw to pass down to him.
                  JD

Comment

I guess one more favorable comment won't hurt. I agonized over what saw to buy and finally pulled the trigger on the TS2424. I have been very satisfied. Easy to set up if you follow the documentation, with the video being a nice assist. Just finished up a shelf for one of the rooms and also built a good sized workbench. Just need to get some additional saw blades and... a lot of other stuff!!

Comment

Working...
                    X