X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS1400 Vibrations Seem To Be Gone

Posted it in the wrong group first time.

Guys,
    I have seen the problem mentioned of vibrations occurring during startup and shut down I to suffered from this buts here’s what I did.

1.)Went to HD and got a 4ft pcs of 1-3/8”x1-3/8” heavy gage slotted angle. Cut into (2) pcs 22” +/ to run front to back. Pcs are fit in under the stand top either under the existing stiffeners or over top aligned to use existing bolts from saw body and motor mount. Tighten every thing up good and snug. Be careful with the casting bolts, over tighten and you will break the casting.

2.)I bought a rubber mat with holes in about 1/4” to 3/8” thick. Cut it big enough for motor mount plate and used it instead of the grommets. Tighten motor down after aligning the motor and saw pulleys

3.)The biggest thing I find is not and I repeat not to over tighten the belt by moving the motor to far back. I have found that having the belt as loose as possible with out slipping is the best.

It has reduced almost all of the vibrations I had to a level not even noticeable by me, and I’m really anal about things. Give it a try it cost me $13 bucks
    If It\'s Not Broke, Fix It Anyway!

I think you are on the right track. The angle iron and rubber mat I have used and recomended here before. However, the loose belt is not a good idea to have the belt looser than suggested. It is hard on the saw and the motor to not have proper tension. $13 is a good fix but for $21 you could add a link belt and solve the belt vibration problem and have the proper tension. Depending on the size of rubber mat that you bought you might cosider cutting a piece of the mat to fit the base footprint and put it under the saw.
    I came...<br /><br />I saw...<br /><br />I changed the plans.

Comment

Do you use the stock pulleys with the link type belt? Are there different widths with this type of belt? I'm willing to spend another $20 bucks. I really can't complain, the saw works great. It was my first Ridgid shop tool. Then went out before christmas and got the Ol'Gray TP1300 and the JP610, and a month ago i got rid of my old 9" crapsman table saw and bought the TS3650. Now i'm working on a router table extention for it.

Comment

Yes the stock pulleys. I pulled both of them and checked them and found them to be very true. I'm sure that a new set of precision machined/balanced would have helped a tiny bit, but not enough for the expense. The belt in all probability is the problem. Solid belts have memory. Take one out of the sleve and it does not turn into a circle rather that oblong shape it already had. Link belt when closed is round. It has no memory as it flexes at each joint so it tranmits very little vibration. The rubber mat I put under mine did very little I am guessing. It is however shock mat for horse trailers. We also use it at our gym at work under the free weights as a shock obsorber and is very effective. I had the mat there and figured it couldn't hurt as it what I cut my rectangle of rubber from for my motor. The other thing that I did was use angle iron near the bottom going all the way around on the inside to reduce stand twist. Made it a more stable base.

Comment

Sorry, forgot to mention. Link belt comes in two sizes. 1/2 inch it what the BS uses and is the most common on home power tools such as table sawas.

Comment

Thanks For Your Info. It will be put to good use this coming weekend. Going to Woodcraft to get a link belt friday.

Comment

G.W. or any one that has made the swap;
              What length of 1/2" wide link belt will i need to get for my BS1400. Every one sells it by the foot. I know i lazy and could just measure the I.D. of the belt, but if you guys already know, the answer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

The belt on the Ridgid bandsaw is about 40". A 4' belt should do you good.

Comment

Tank Ya Very Much For Ya Help!

Comment

I there a site where link belts can be purchased? Do they go by a specific name?

Comment

Working...
                    X