X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use glaze as a topcoat?

I am at the tail end of finishing a table for a customer. She is very particular about the color for the legs. She has yet to find the right shade of gold that she likes. However, she has some metallic glazing that she got from HD or Lowe's that she likes. The legs are going to be distressed so a completely uniform coating isn't entirely necessary. Can I use this glazing as a topcoat over a primer? What problems would I run into with this?
    Attached Files

Re: Can I use glaze as a topcoat?

Check the manufacturers website for compatibility with other coatings. I have never used metal glazing but for some reason my mind sees it flaking off if not sealed with a poly or other compatible film forming finish

Comment

I will be covering the glaze with a sprayed lacquer after I'm done so I'm not real worried about the durability. I've decided to go ahead and use the the gold glaze over the primer. It will probably take a few coats since it doesn't offer the coverage like a typical paint. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Comment

If you are covering it with lacquer.........it's not a topcoat. I would be more concerned about lacquer than the primer. Check with the manifacturer about compatibility. Lacquer can lift/craze things. It depends upon the chemistry of the glaze.

Comment

Don’t think it can be done will properly cause a few problems (flaking, fading) wouldn’t recommend it. If you can’t find anything from the manufacture about this maybe try a little test patch on a spare piece
          Emergency Glazing - Glass Glazing 24 Hour Emergency Glaziers

Comment

Originally posted by rnt80 View Post
            I am at the tail end of finishing a table for a customer. She is very particular about the color for the legs. She has yet to find the right shade of gold that she likes. However, she has some metallic glazing that she got from HD or Lowe's that she likes. The legs are going to be distressed so a completely uniform coating isn't entirely necessary. Can I use this glazing as a topcoat over a primer? What problems would I run into with this?
            Go here ->

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...isplay.php?f=8

Talk to/ask Dave Hawksford, he's a professional finisher who's always ready to share his excellent advice
            Cheers! - Jim
            -------------
            All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
            X