X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid vs Delta Table Saw

Stevan-I'm going to check out Force Machinery, hopefully this weekend. It would be great to see different TS set up.

RevEd - I'm learning more from this forum than I thought possible. Thanks.

Because space is an issue, is there any reason I couldn't build a tabletop to cover the saw and use as a worktable? A piece of plywood or MDF secured to the TS top, I could have the saw and the table, just not at the same time.

Comment

tchads,
      Force is across the street from the "ship" in the center median.
      Steve.

Comment

Steve,

I'll need to measure the different saws. Are they assembled at Force?

Comment

tchads,
          Yes, they have a showroom with plenty of tools to look at. It is an older supplier and likely supplies commercial and industrial customers mostly. I don't recall just what table saws they have on display, probably Delta and Jet and so forth. They have a friendly and knowledgeable sales staff. It rates as a favorite toy store for me, I just don't get up that way too often. They have a web site too.
          Steve.

Comment

Thanks. I went to their website and it seems that a trip is in the works for this weekend. The Delta and the Ridgid were my first choices and I think the Jet Pro Shop hybrid could be a good choice for my limited space. Best advice was given to enurse on this forum - take your time and get some hands on info.

Comment

Went to Force Machinery on Sat. Was like a kid in Toys-R Us. No contractor's TS on display but spent an hour talking to one of the managers. Had a Jet TS on sale, steel wings, right tilt, 50 inch fence and ext table for $400. Too big for my space.

Why right tilt? Seems to me that all saws are left tilt. Should this be a major consideration?

Comment

There are still boat loads of right tilt saws. There are pros and cons of each, but it boils down to preference. I've owned both and prefer left tilt, but I wouldn't let the tilt direction be a show stopper on an otherwise super deal that had my heart beating faster.

Comment

If I had driven the SUV instead of the Camry, I'd be trying to find room for the TS right now. The manager said to buy the saw and cut the rails to length and toss the table, but it seemed like a crime to waste half the extension. For another $100 I can probably get a saw with cast iron extensions and a 30 inch rip that will fit in my shop.

Always thought there was some advantage to left tilt.

Comment

Right Tilt and Left Tilt are much like being right or left handed. The main reason for going with a left tilt is if you have the rip fence to the right side of the blade and ever want to do bevel cuts. Try that with a right tilt model and it's time with binding and kickback problems. Some people use the fence mostly on the left of the blade and the miter guide on the right. I personally would go for a left tilt, but have seen both and it really depends on your needs and how you'll use the table saw.

Comment

It sounds like a right tilt would "trap" the wood between the fence and under the blade making binding and kickback a problem. Was looking at the Jet TS bOne more thing to consider. Always looking for the safest way out.

Comment

Found assembled samples of both the Delta and the 3650 TS over the holidays. Unfortunately, if I put either in my workshop there will be no room for anything else. It looks like the Ridgid 2400 is the way to go - good saw, small footprint. Of course it's no longer on sale . Hopefully it won't be too long 'til the next sale.

I'd like to thank all who answered my questions on this forum. I continue to learn more on this site than in any magazine - great advice from actual users who don't have advertizers to answer to.

Comment

1/6/08 - 1/12/08 the Craftsman 22124 Hybrid with 30" Biesemeyer is on sale for 899.99 if you are a Craftsman Club Member. If you purchase 2 additional items on pages 14 - 15 of the Craftsman Club flyer the saw price is 799.99...

Comment

I also have a small basement shop and just purchased the TS2400. This replaced a small Delta bench top that had been making due for years. In this small shop I have a 6" jointer, bench top planer, Radial arm saw, compound miter saw, work bench, storage and associated home mechanicals. It is very tight. Just a note on the power. The 2400 is marginal for thick hardwood. I am making a maple and cherry desk for my daughter using rough stock and you have to very careful when cutting 5/4 maple to prevent overloading the saw (this is with a new combination blade but I was able to carefully cut 8/4 maple). I did trip the circuit breaker frequently as the splitter is was not as wide as the blade and when the some pieces of wood closed the kerf behind the splitter it did bind. Saw blade is a new Rigid combo blade - may want to consider thin kerf blade - lower stress on the motor and may match the splitter better. Note that I am not sure the 2400 is that much smaller than the contractor saw - at least in width if you plan not to fold it up. The other downside of the 2400 is that the table is significantly smaller especially on the outfeed (I needed to purchase the Rigid adjustable outfeed table ($30) for ripping boards even as short as 2 feet.

So be sure you think about what you are going to cut and factor in the table size. As I will eventually move into the Garage I plan on getting at least a Hybrid if not a cabinet saw in the future so the 2400 is an iterim step.

Since you are in Northern Jersey note that there is a Woodcraft in Allenton PA - about 20 minutes from the border right off of 78 - they saws jointers etc. - Delta, Jet, Rikon, Steel City and others plus other wood working tools.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by khallstrom View Post
                              ... Just a note on the power. The 2400 is marginal for thick hardwood. ... Saw blade is a new Rigid combo blade - may want to consider thin kerf blade - lower stress on the motor and may match the splitter better. ...
                              Your saw should have an easier time in thick material using a good quality 24T thin kerf ripping blade.....something like an Infinity "Ripper Lite", Freud LU87RO10, Amana AGE TK ripper, DW7124PT, or even a 30T Forrest WWII TK.

Comment

That's been my problem. Buy a portable and have more room but less power. The last thing I want to do is replace this TS in 5 years because it's too small or I've outgrown it. To save space I've thought of taking the motor off and putting a top on the TS to use as a bench when not actively making sawdust. Right now if I have to rip something long I just line up the saw with the door or cut it down to size with a circular saw. I've been researching this for so long my wife is ready to buy a TS just to shut me up!
                                Last edited by tchads; 01-30-2008, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X