Ridgid vs Delta Table Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid vs Delta Table Saw

I've been shopping table saws myself recently. I'm no expert by any means but I'm willing to share some of the stuff I've found.

Consumer reports ranked the Ridgid TS2400LS best out of the 8 or so portable table saws that they reviewed. It got Excellent marks in Ease of use, Percision and speed, and got Good marks for accuracy & edge finish.

Other saws reviewed were the Dewalt, Bosch, Ryobi, Hitachi, Makita, Skil & Craftsmen.

Other top preformers on the list were the Bosch which scored Excellent in Rip percision & Ease of use, and good in accuracy, speed & edge finish.

The "Best Buy" was the Ryobi BTS20. Which recieved Excellent marks for ease of use, and good in Accuracy, Speed & edge finish, as well as Rip Percision. At $250. I'd say it's a pretty good deal but I did notice that there was no zero clearance attachment that would fit it.

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
      That's been my problem. Buy a portable and have more room but less power. The last thing I want to do is replace this TS in 5 years because it's too small or I've outgrown it. To save space I've thought of taking the motor off and putting a top on the TS to use as a bench when not actively making sawdust. Right now if I have to rip something long I just line up the saw with the door or cut it down to size with a circular saw. I've been researching this for so long my wife is ready to buy a TS just to shut me up!
      tchads - Are you familiar with the newer hybrid saw design? They're very much like a traditional full size cast iron contractor saw, but have the motor housed internally, which saves space....they also have the benefit of a shorter drive belt, better DC, and none of the hassles associated with the outboard motor.

You can still add a removable top so your saw can double as a bench.

Comment

I've checked out the hybrids and the Jet Pro Shop series does a real nice job of combining contractor and cabinet saw. Price is a little out of my range, unless I can find one on sale. The weight can be an issue with moving the saw into the basement. I think it was around 350 to 400 lbs. and comes assembled except for the legs. Contractors saw can be disassembled to some extent to move.
        I could just tell my wife to park her car outside as I need her half of the garage for my workshop. Then I'd have to find a space for me and my tools!

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
          I've checked out the hybrids and the Jet Pro Shop series does a real nice job of combining contractor and cabinet saw. Price is a little out of my range, unless I can find one on sale. The weight can be an issue with moving the saw into the basement. I think it was around 350 to 400 lbs. and comes assembled except for the legs. Contractors saw can be disassembled to some extent to move.
          I could just tell my wife to park her car outside as I need her half of the garage for my workshop. Then I'd have to find a space for me and my tools!
          The saws should come with the wings, legs, and fence as separate unassembled items, meaning that the largest portion of the base saw is ~ 20" w x 27" deep x ~ 18" tall. The wings will weigh ~80-100#, and the steel fence will weigh in the range of ~ 65-70#...the legs aren't likely to weigh much over 25# total, so the base saw cabinet should weigh considerably less than the total, and should be manageable on a dolly or with two healthy guys carrying it.
          Last edited by hewood; 02-03-2008, 08:40 AM.

Comment

That's what I had kids for. Thanks for the info.

Comment

On hybrid it is more complicated to set the blade parallel. On may saw you have to move the table-top while on the TS3650, the trunion have a pivoting trunion.

Comment

Sorry, I became dyslexic, you shoud read

On most hybrid saw you have to move the table-top while on the TS3650, the trunion have a pivoting trunion.

Comment

Hey Tchads, I just sold my Bosch 4000 to purchase the TS 3650. I only have a 12 ft x 24 ft shop space, so foot print is really important to me. I thought that the bosch was the end all TS for me because of its footprint and portability. What I didn't account for when I bought it was that the handles of the stand projected out beyond the ends of the actual table top, so, the actual overall volume of the actual saw when it was "deployed" wasn't that much less than a typical contractor's saw. Plus, the air filled tires on the stand tended to make the saw bounce a little which made it hard to control heavy panel products such as MDF. So, to take advantage of the space savings afforded by the foldability of the stand, I had to set up the saw, make a cut, fold it up, set up the saw, make a cut, fold it up, etc. I was pretty close to getting rid of the stand in favor of a shop built box on wheels for the saw when it dawned on me that I really needed the larger cast iron top for support, stability, and of course, a longer fence.

So, to make a long story short (too late...!). Portable saws are great if you don't need a lot of fence capacity (width of cut), or if you don't consistently cut a lot of larger plywood or mdf type sheets. I owned the Bosch and a Ryobi BT 2000 a couple of years ago and felt that they were both very decent products with their limitations.

cheers,
                  Steve

Comment

Sorry, my last post was in reply to Joe F's question about portable saws, not TChad.

I also forgot to mention that Home Depot seems to be selling the TS 3650 at $466 instead of the usual $549 which totally sweetened the pot for me.

-Steve

Comment

Not a problem, any information is welcome. I have pretty much decided on a contractors or hybrid TS for all the reasons you stated. Just waiting for a sale.

Comment

Working...
                      X