Ridgid vs Delta Table Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid vs Delta Table Saw

I'm looking to upgrade to a 10" table saw. I've looked at the Ridgid 3650 and the Delta 36-980. I can read all the great reviews and information on this forum for Ridgid but there is no similar place for Delta. Does anyone have any experience with a Delta TS? Any reason they chose Ridgid over others?
    I'll be using the TS mostly in a small (13 by 13) basement workshop.

Re: Ridgid vs Delta Table Saw

friday the smaller ridgid table (r 2400 i belive) goes on sale for $299, concidering your space you might want to concider this saw as well and everyone that has one really seems to love it and the fence is high qualty. and for the price you can't go wrong.

i know this is not what you asked for but just a sujestion that this might be better for you plus it folds up and can be placed out of the way when not in use.

welcome to the forum
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have a Skil 3400 series that just can't do much more than trim rough wood. The 2400 looks like a larger version of what I have, but I'll still have to check it out this weekend. Fortunately Lowe's and HD are only a 1/2 mile apart on the highway.

Comment

This thread might shed a little more light on the Delta vs the Ridgid.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

If you can stand the cost you might really like a hybrid style table saw on a good mobile base. They don't need as much room as a contractor style because the motor is under the table rather than hanging out in back.

Comment

I'd have to agree with Wousko....the hybrids have several design advantages and no disadvantages. If I were upgrading my TS, I'd skip the 60 year old contractor design all together and go with the advantages of a hybrid. Some actually start @ ~ $400 on sale. There are some very nice hybrids in the $600 range, so cost is pretty competitive with a contractor saw.

Comment

My first TS was the Skil, 3400 or similar. I got tired of its problems, sold it on Craig's List, and bought the 2400 TS. Man, what an improvement. The 2400 TS is not comparable to the Skil. It is worthy of and ready for doing fine woodworking. Quieter, soft start, great fence, bigger table, holds its setup/alignment... the list of good things goes on.

If space is an issue it should be high on the list of candidates. Of course, if space isn't a big issue the 3650 is the way to go.
              Dick

Comment

I came down to the same exact choice and I picked the Ridgid TS3650. I wrote a long post in the "reviews" forum called Rigid TS3650 Review... you might want to see if you like my reasoning & findings. Cant go wrong with Delta, either - it will make sawdust real well, too.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I hadn't considered a hybrid on a mobile base, assuming a contractor's saw to be smaller. Went to HD and Lowes this weekend to measure actual sizes with the fences attached. The 3650 is about 62 in by 36 overall. The fence wasn't installed on the Delta so my guess is about the same. Of course I didn't think to see how far the motor overhang is. Any recommendations on hybrids?

Comment

Figure a foot to 15" for the motor overhang.

There are good hybrids from Jet, Craftsman, Grizzly, Steel City, Delta, General International, Woodtek, Sunhill, DeWalt, and Shop Fox. All are capable of good performance, and all offer some very nice fence options.

I've got the Craftsman 22124 with the Biese fence, and have been very pleased with it as a step up from an excellent GI contractor saw. It features cabinet mounted trunnions....the Steel City is nearly identical, and are associated companies.

I'm impressed with the design of the new Jet ProShop 708480 and 708482K. Prices seem good too.

Here's a birdseye view of the cab mounted trunnions, and a glimpse of a contractor motor hanging out the back.
                    Name:  44490213840f967873eade4260c940a1.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  6dde160d1cee8e076eefc98cbf288a57.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  48.9 KB
                    Last edited by hewood; 11-29-2007, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks hewood. The Jet Pro Shop saws are impressive, the inside motor mount saves a lot of space and all the reviews for Jet products have been good. One more choice to consider.

Comment

The Jet contractor (motor out back) have received good reviews too. You might try contacting local dealers for woodworking machinery if you have any near you and go buy for a good look. Sometimes one may get in a true cabinet style table saw on trade for a newer model. If in nice condition you can sometimes really do well. It would be overkill, but it is a real investment too. There are lots of choices for sure. Whatever you do don't get one with a high speed power tool motor and gears. Be sure it has an induction motor and belt drive. What I have seen is that most hybrids are the top of a contractor saw with a few extras and the cabinet design from a cabinet saw. They are not up to what a true cabinet saw is, but the don't cost as much and aren't as heavy. In addition trying to run a 3 or 5 HP motor at home normally ends up with your needing an electrician to bring out a 30 Amp 240 Volt circuit to where it will be used. If you can go for a 1-1/2 HP motor most of the newer ones can be run on a private 20 Amp. 120 Volt circuit. As long as you take your time cutting a 1-1/2 HP motor should handle your needs. You might check with local high schools and technical schools. Sometimes the shop teachers know of special deals you might like.

Comment

I checked for the Jet contractor's and it's available at HD and Lowes. The ones they have come with the steel extensions instead of the cast iron. Anything will be more stable than what I have now. The Jet Pro Shop line may be more saw than I need or will be able to get into the basement. There is a store nearby that carries Jet products, I'll have to call and see what saws they carry. Once again, thanks for the info!

Comment

tchads
                            Force Machinery Rt. 22 west in Union. Must stop for anyone interested in tools.
                            Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
                              I'm looking to upgrade to a 10" table saw. I've looked at the Ridgid 3650 and the Delta 36-980. I can read all the great reviews and information on this forum for Ridgid but there is no similar place for Delta. Does anyone have any experience with a Delta TS? Any reason they chose Ridgid over others?
                              I'll be using the TS mostly in a small (13 by 13) basement workshop.

TChads
                              The biggest difference between the Delta and the Ridgid is the one piece arbor carriage casting in the Ridgid. The Delta and many hybreds use multi-piece arbor carriages. They have two bars/tubes/pipes that support the arbor and run between the front and rear trunnions. There are many joints and many places for parts to move and rack out of alignment.

The Ridgid and a few other contractor/hybred use a one piece casting that goes between the two trunnions. There is no way this can become loose, shift or rack out of alignment.

Everyone talks about trunion placement whether it is on the cabinet or the table but in fact what really matters is having a solid casting running between them. Every major cabinet saw has this one piece casting. You know why? So they don't have blade heeling problems when they tilt the blade to cut bevels.

To me the choice is clear go with the saw that uses a one piece casting between the trunions and don't lose any sleep over where the trunnions are mounted.
                              Rev Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X