X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No blade height lock on TS2424

Ok, I went ahead and got my new TS2424. I am impressed so far with the quality and construction. But as I investigated about this saw and read comments and reviews, the fact that it does not have a height blade lock did not hit me, probably because of my lack of experience with serious woodworking (I have done mostly rough carpentry at home). I have a friend that has had troubles with other tablesaws that did not have a lock and he swears he never would buy another one without the lock. Has anyone had any problems with the height floating around? If so, what was the solution? Even with my lack of experience, I do know that the height setting is very critical when cutting a dado. Will this be a problem?

Always end your blade height setting with the blade rising. That simple, works every time, and you never have to fool with a malfunctioning blade height lock.

Dave

Comment

Dave A's method works well, but I've also never experienced much of a problem---your height is adjusted by a worm gear, with a very positive (no play) gear meshing. Have fun with the new saw.
      Dave

Comment

So are you guys saying that stress and vibration from cutting and the tablesaw (the saw's vibration of course is minimal) won't slowly affect the height setting if I finish the height adjustment raising it?

Comment

Ivan, I have had a TS2424 for years and not once have I had a problem with the blade height moving. The gearing is so low on the height mechanism (hence the higher number of turns needed to raise/lower the blade) that it would take a LOT more that a little vibration to alter the setting, especially as the two Dave's said, if you end your setting on a rising turn. The other big advantage of the low gearing is that it is easier to be precise with you height setting.

Cheers, Ivor, Calgary

Comment

Another plus for the gear ratio on the TS2424. It is easier to return to a setting than on other saws I have used. I was cussing the number of turns at first, since I never leave the blade exposed when I leave the saw (Grandkid safety-plus it gets unplugged). But, I am used to it and appreciate both adjustments now.
            Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

Ivan,

That same basic elevation design has been around for a long time and is very reliable when it comes to the height adjustment. The mechinism is a worm drive and if you've had any experiance with gear boxes, a worm drive can only transmit power one way, though the imput shaft (your elevation hand wheel).

Jake

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: JSchnarre ]

Comment

I've had my 2424 for about a year and a half and have had no problems with the blade height moving...and ditto to Ivor's comments, it's real easy to sneak up on your height adjustment without having to move back and forth. I learned a long time ago to finish the adjustment on a rise, so it's just habit now.

Enjoy your new saw.

Pete
                \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

Working...
                X