X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning painter wood

I have recently acquired a tp1300 planer. This is my first planer. I have many board feet of painted 1X8 & 1X6 redwood from a fence that I replaced. What is the opinion on planning painted wood? Thanks in advance for any response and sorry for any or many misspelling.

MRO

Re: Planning painter wood

Watch for nails. Dulls blades quicker and can cause buildup on blades. Blades are fairly inexpensive, weigh the savings.

Comment

Wear a dusk mask if it is old it may be lead paint,

Be prepared to replace the blades, Dirt and paint are especially hard on blades, Nails are harder on the blades tho,

more than likely run ever thing through and remove the paint saw the edges off, and then replace the blades and finish to size,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Depending on the type of paint, you could put some serious wear on the planer blades. If it's an old school enamel, you could actually chip the blades. If it's a more modern latex the paint gums up when it gets hot (from friction).

Consider this as an alternative. It's more work, but you'll save yourself money and headache replacing blades..
        - Strip the paint with a chemical stripper, after it's dry, run it through the planer. Let the chemicals do the grunt work getting rid of the paint.

Comment

Many thanks to all of you for your helpfull advice. I will proceed with caution. Redwood is hard to find these days let alone the high price. Have great holidays.

MRO

Comment

Working...
          X