X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r4330 thickness planer problem

My new R4330 planer trimmed the first few rough red oak boards just fine, Then the feeder statred to stall. Cleaning the dust off the rollers seemed to help, but just for a baord or two. Releveling the infeed and outfeed tables to be perfectly level helped only a little for a part of one board. Cleaning the rollers with pitch cleaner did not help. I tried a pine board but got the same stalling. It seems that the only sure way to have a board go all the way through is by pushing or pulling, which I understand is not a good practice. Also, the rollers are leaving their black lines on the boards.

Am I missing an adjustment? Are the rollers too hard? Do I need to clean and wax the tables? They appear to be clean and slick. I have not waxed them yet. The blades appear ok.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks. Jim

Re: r4330 thickness planer problem

Just a guess but are you trying to remove too much material at one time? Try making shallower cuts and see if that doesn't help.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Just a guess but are you trying to remove too much material at one time? Try making shallower cuts and see if that doesn't help.
      Also wax the tables and platen.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I know I have not tried to remove too much material at one pass. I have not used the wax yet, so I will try that step next. Thanks.

Comment

The wax seems to help. I was able to have the feeder do its work again. I had thought for sure that the surface was clean and slick as it came out of the box so clean and shiny. I have waxed it twice and it works. Maybe if I let the wax dry on the surface it will have a longer lasting effect. I will try that too.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Comment

I just got the R4330 also and I like it. I've never had a planer before so if any of you have tips on leveling the infeed/outfeed tables I'd sure appreciate them. The manual says use a carpenter's square but I just can't get them right. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Comment

While this thread is old, I thought I would post this for anyone else having this problem. The poster didn't say if he was using a strong dust collector during planing. I have the Ridgid planer and love it, but it will really bog down and have the symptoms described in this thread if a dust collector is not connected and used. I wouldn't even try to plane without dust collection.

Comment

Dust collection is a must. Even with a dust collector hooked up I seem to have a lot of chips/shavings exiting the front of the machine...any ideas on reducing this?

Bill

Comment

Working...
                X