X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What saw to use question?

Hi, Im going to build a walnut table with cherry inlay. The table is going to be 2.5 inches thick with a slight arc to it as in picture. Theres two ways I can think of cutting it.
    One on a bandsaw but its going to be very difficult due to wieght unless I can talk client into only arc-ing sides., then I can cut it in one piece before glue up.
    My second thought was to rent a 12 inch skill saw or beam saw and cut it proud of line and then buy a power hand planer and due the rest and then finish up with sanders.
    Anyone else have a any ideas?

Thanks in advance.Attachment
    Attached Files

Re: What saw to use question?

Is the 2.5" thickness going to be from a single 2.5" thick board or will that be built up?

Comment

Cut it proud with a jig saw or even a reciprocating saw. Make a hardboard pattern and use it to run a pattern bit around the edge to final size. The pattern bit wont cut all the way through the 2 1/2" top but a second pass with the bearing riding on the first cut will finish it nicely using a top bearing bit and a fixed base router.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
        Is the 2.5" thickness going to be from a single 2.5" thick board or will that be built up?

12/4 walnut. 110 board feet!

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
          Cut it proud with a jig saw or even a reciprocating saw. Make a hardboard pattern and use it to run a pattern bit around the edge to final size. The pattern bit wont cut all the way through the 2 1/2" top but a second pass with the bearing riding on the first cut will finish it nicely using a top bearing bit and a fixed base router.
          Thats an idea. I assume jigsaw blades do come longer .

Comment

I'd recommend using the template and router table method, it should work well and cutting the other side of the top is easy, just flip it over and let the bearing ride against the portion you've already routed, it'll match the top and bottom sections of the tabletop and make them flush.

Comment

suggestion, jsut thicken the edge of the table save the lumber, if done one can do a glue up of the out side edge and band saw it and even sand it, glue on the top and router with a bearing down to the thickened edge, that is glued on under the table,

if you wanted to, one could glue up an edge and an end, and then use a band saw to cut both edges out of the glue up and both ends out of the other glue up, making the edge about 3/4" thick, and the glue up can be laminated in such a way that the ends are not laminated all the way out to the end,

( . is no lamination or wood, X is wood ).

..................XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.................. ...
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
              XXXXXXXXXXX..........................XXXXXXXXXXXX

If you want the entire top 2 1/2" thick use popular or some other filler wood where it will never be seen,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yes you can get longer jigsaw blades. Using a router table has the same issue as using a bandsaw to cut out the shape. The top is just too large and heavy to handle and control. A handheld router will work very well for this.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                  Yes you can get longer jigsaw blades. Using a router table has the same issue as using a bandsaw to cut out the shape. The top is just too large and heavy to handle and control. A handheld router will work very well for this.
                  Depends on how big your router table is, doesn't it? I have two, one built into the wing of my tablesaw and it's plenty big enough for just about anything. My stand-alone has flip up wings, useful for making long moldings but also perfect for something like this.

People with tiny benchtop tables will have trouble, but they have trouble with most things because they have a tiny router table.

Comment

Papadan's way is the way to do it. I've done similar things with large pieces that way and it is the easiest, fastest, safest and most accurate way.
                    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cephus View Post
                      Depends on how big your router table is, doesn't it? I have two, one built into the wing of my tablesaw and it's plenty big enough for just about anything. My stand-alone has flip up wings, useful for making long moldings but also perfect for something like this.

People with tiny benchtop tables will have trouble, but they have trouble with most things because they have a tiny router table.
                      I have a rockler router table.I can just use a handheld.

Comment

My table is 24x48 with a 7518 and Mast-R-Lift. I would use handheld for sure for a table top this large.

Comment

In case this might help here's the listing of Bosch T shank jigsaw blades. Please check lengths out.
                          http://www.boschtools.com/accessorie...176309&G=54783

In case you need U shank type
                          http://www.boschtools.com/accessorie...176310&G=54790

Comment

Make sure you watch both sides of the cut if you use the jigsaw method. When cutting arcs at 2.5" thick with a jigsaw the blades have a tendency to cut at an angle. As you arc left and push forward the blade will want to cut towards the inside of the table at the bottom of the cut

Comment

The table looks and sounds like an interesting project

You've gotten some good advice here and I would agree with the method suggested by papadan

Show us some pics of before, during and after if you can...

We love pics
                              Cheers! - Jim
                              -------------
                              All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                              X