X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 workstation (re-post)

After watching this forum for several weeks and reading all the good info on the TS3650, I finally decided to go out to the local H-D to buy one and couldn't be more pleased. With the discount and no interest, I thought it was a very good deal.

Although the assembly was straight forward; it took me all day, but I'm slow when it comes to putting things together. The only change I made was to wire the motor for 240 with an extra long cord and put it on a dedicated circuit. What a difference that made. The lights don't dim in the basement now when I start the saw up.

Anyway, after getting all set up, I decided I wanted a router table to fit between the rails. After a lot of research; mostly this forum and Wood magizine, this is what I came up with. I haven't cut out the phenolic insert yet only because I haven't bought the router I would like to mount under it. I'm leaning toward the Bosch. The router fence is a combination of several shop built ones I saw. I'm looking forward to seeing if it works or not.

BTW, I couldn't have ask for a better job out of the saw when building the workstation. The dust collection works pretty good using just a shop vac considering I didn't have any when cutting all that MDF. I thought I was going to get run off before I got finished with it.

Thanks for all the info on the TS3650, the router tables, and fences. I got a lot of good ideas from this forum. Here are a few pictures of the finished project.

[ 07-24-2004, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: JLR ]

Welcome JLR, we'll be looking forward to hearing about your future projects. BTW, those are some of the finest looking red x's in a box that I've seen in a long time. Pay no attention to my futile attemp at humor as I speak without the benifit of owning a digital camera or the ability to know how to use it if I had one, let alone post a picture of any kind here. [img]redface.gif[/img]
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'll have to make a retraction on my previous post until I can figure out how to post pictures.

So, Badger Dave you're not alone when it comes to owning a digital camera or being able to post anything made from it. It was a borrowed camera at that.

So disregard any reference to pictures for now.

I'm open to any suggestions someone may have. The pictures show up on my computer, but evidently they don't for anybody else.

[ 07-23-2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: JLR ]

Comment

JLR, a very nice job on your TS3650 workstation.

How did you handle dust collection from the TS? Did you extend the port of the existing DC shroud or remove that and build a box in the cabinet that directs sawdust towards the DC port (which appears to be 2.5") on the back of the workstation?

How did you handle tilting of the saw blade? I can not tell from your photos.

Comment

That is without a doubt one of the finest TS workstations I have ever seen! Great job! Is it your own design or did you work from a set of plans? Congratulations on a job very well done.
          Lorax
          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I didn't remove the DC shroud Bob D., but there is a seperate dust collection hopper under the tablesaw and router top into the 2.5" port.

I have to remove the cover on the back when tilting the blade. Only quick way I could come up with.

Parts are my own design, but mostly from a plan out of Wood magazine, Lorax.

BTW: thanks.

Comment

, very
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

That is a work of art.You should be proud of it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

is it advantageous to have your router right next to your TS?
                  btw awesome, awesome, awesome - I know because I just tried to build a table extension for my saw and it is no where as good as your so I know how hard it is. did you finish your mdf? where did you get the hardware fro the router table?
                  thanks
                  Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

No advantage I suppose Mick, I just thought it would save a little room; which I have very little of. I also liked the plan. I gives me a much wider support on the right side of the saw and I didn't have to worry about how I was going to support the router table.

The MDF is finished with two coats of clear satin poly. The mini T-track and 3/4' T-track both came from Schlabaugh & Sons (www.schsons.com).

BTW: As far as how good a project may be, I always think the other guys projects are better than mine. I haven't even got to try out the router table yet. I may have to re-design the whole thing after the router is installed. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow. Very nice.

Comment

That is a sweet project, I think I may have to build one myself this fall. I too am a bit space challenged untill I can build a proper shop at my house. I may take it up a notch and add a down-draft sanding table also, or replace the router table portion with the sanding table. I also would like a dedicated outfeed table to swing up from the back, would have to accomodate the motor and what not to get it to swing down. I also could use the old TS3650 base to create a mobile work table, or make one of my other stationary tools mobile.

Great job!

Mike
                        Is this your homework Larry?

Comment

Hey,
                          Take credit for a job well done and please keep posting your projects for inspiration!
                          Glade to here you coated your mdf, I hear that stuff gives off toxic gases unless sealed!
                          Thanks again.
                          Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

Nice job - well done. Looks like the Wood magazine Best of version with a few mods?

I did a couple of them and added another cabinet to left side for extra storage. How's the torsion box under holding up? I used 1x for it, now developed a wee bit of sag on one of them. Total width w/ extra cabinet is 80" - maybe I should have used 6 casters vs 4.

Nice job - it sure makes things nice and convenient [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Cranky, I made the mistake of first using 3" casters trying to cut cost a little (big mistake). Using 3", I had to add a 3/4" mounting block for each caster to get the floor clearance. The thing was just about impossibe to move with the smaller casters, so I ended up having to use 4" casters anyway. That was no easy task having to swap them out after the project was put together. I think 5" casters would have even been better as heavy and as long as the whole thing is. I haven't noticed any sag yet, but I do have the extra 3/4" clearence under it now to take care of any high spots in the floor.

I think the swing up outfeed table that Nomad mentioned would be a nice addition also.

It may become a stationary workstation instead of mobile if it gets much heavier. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X