X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood lathe

i am thinking about buying the ridgid lathe. why doesn't it have a way for outboard turning? and why use a tubular steel bed? has it got a hollow center for lamp post and such? what are the strong and weak points to this lathe? please be honest about the weak points. i would really like to hear from some experienced turners and present owners of this lathe if at all possible.
    Godspeed and wear those safety glasses...

Without anything to compare it to... generally it seems to do everything I need it to do, although I have limited my turning to bowls, pens and turned legs for furniture.

I don't think you will find much at same price point but I offer the following criticism:

changing speeds is a pain in the neck and, while I am not sure how many more you would need, it only offers four speeds.

If you plan on a large turning, capacity may be an issue, both in clearance and in motor strength.

This is clearly not what I would call a "primary" product offering for Ridgid, but one that I see as one that fills out the catalogue. But if all you are going to do is hobby-type projects it should be fine. I drilled holes in the table top to insert my tools.

Comment

The only weak point I have read about it is that the lowest speed is still too fast for larger bowl turning.I am going to buy it real soon(saving $ right now).The way I look at it is this;I am not an expert on a lathe yet,so for $300 and some accessories the Ridgid is a small invesment to "train" on. If in the future I find I need something with more to offer,I will look into it.Good luck!

Comment

Quick follow-up - if you buy this figuring it for a "starter" don't hold back on the tools. I bought a cheap starter set of tools but have been replacing them with good Sorby tools as I go. These will hold up well to whatever I do with the lathe in the future.

Comment

I have the Ridgid lathe.. It will not work with a duplicator unless you can spend the extra $ to have it refitted to accept it All of the duplicators that I know about are made for a twin miled bed, not the tube.. It caot me about $250.00 to have steel blocks made. If I had not already bought and used the Ridgid I would look at the DELTA line.. ASK MANY QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU BUT ANY OF THEM>>Figure out "down the road" what you will be using it for.. Doc.

Comment

thanks for the reponses. how big is the largest bowl i would be able to turn safely? have there been any draw backs beside the duplicator issue that the steel tube bed has caused? i might go ahead and buy it since Home Depot is having its 10% off tool trade in "event" right now. since i will be learning on it i think the cost and capabilites are right for now.
            Godspeed and wear those safety glasses...

Comment

Working...
            X