X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price of Cherry

I went to the big M box store the other day just for giggles to check the price of Cherry for some cabinet doors. A, 1 x 6 x 6 was $43.54 a board and if I figured right this comes out to $14.51 a board foot. So I called my local saw miil and found 1 x 6 x 6 Cherry finished on three sides for $4.90 a board foot. Talk about a mark up!! Maybe I should buy the Cherry from the mill and sell it back to the big M. Isn't this like organized crime??
    Please check out my web page
    www.woodandwax.net

Re: Price of Cherry

Originally posted by sauk_98 View Post
    I went to the big M box store the other day just for giggles to check the price of Cherry for some cabinet doors. A, 1 x 6 x 6 was $43.54 a board and if I figured right this comes out to $14.51 a board foot. So I called my local saw miil and found 1 x 6 x 6 Cherry finished on three sides for $4.90 a board foot. Talk about a mark up!! Maybe I should buy the Cherry from the mill and sell it back to the big M. Isn't this like organized crime??
    You can sell me cherry for 6 a bd ft.I think I pay 8 or 9 here in the Northwest.
    I once built 2 tables out of Polar from the Borg it cost 220. If I went to local wood store it would of cost 85.

Comment

Up here finished cherry 3/4 X 5.5 is ~$6/ linear ft. Rough 4/4 select and better 1 side red is ~$6.70/bf

Comment

I was just shocked that M can get $14 a board foot!! Must be taht plastic wrap they put on the boards that make them so expensive. I am headed to the saw mill this weekend and I'll let everyone know what I find. I am in northern illinois and the mill tells me Dark Walnut is $4.90 a board foot. Maybe I need a bigger truck
        www.woodandwax.net

Comment

The Lumberyard I use (www.Yukonlumber.com) is near my day job in Southern Virginia so I stopped by today and checked the prices for Cherry. They have:

CHERRY (Prunus serotina) - Strong, fine grained, used in fine furniture making. 4/4, 5/4, 8/4.

at $4.60/bf (rough)

This is the reason I purchased the TP in the first place. One of my first "big" projects was a mission bed made of red oak. The boards are nicely finished, sure enough, but that little pile of wood cost me around $400.00. I almost threw up. That TP paid for itself very quickly. $14/bf is obscene.

Zeno
          “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Wall Lumber has UPS bundles (about 20 bf) of cherrry for less than $6 bf delivered in the continental US. Might want to check www.walllumber.com

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Hey thanks Gofor, I might just give them a try. $14.00 is OBSCENE!!
              www.woodandwax.net

Comment

East Ky is 220bf cherry, 210 walnut, 190 red or white oak, 205 maple. That is KD rough cut no minimum from the mill.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                X