Osborne EB-3 miter gauge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Osborne EB-3 miter gauge

Stevan, will it fit, "hang" in the miter slot on the 3650?
    ________
    Oregon Medical Marijuana Dispensary
    Last edited by newtowood; 02-10-2011, 11:01 PM.
    It is amazing how long it takes to complete a project you are not working on!

Comment

Maybe being made in Asia is not such a bad thing after all, I manage a large automotive collision center for a dual line dealership, "Ford and Toyota" and I will have to say that the Japanese made vehicles are far superior to the American made cars and trucks. Asian made products for the most part are designed and built to exacting specifications where the American vehicles leave a lot to be desired in the area of safety and quality, seems that quantity is job one instead of quality being job one!!!! I would rather purchase American products as opposed to foreign products if the quality is there, but so many times the quality of foreign made products is in fact superior to American products. What is wrong with America?????
      ________
      VOLVO B4B ENGINE HISTORY

Comment

NTW,
        Yes. EB-3 fits just fine. If you are concerned that the EB-3 is too much gage for the 3650, as I was, forget about it. EB-3 works perfectly well with the 3650. Just remember as with any gage including a fence, to check clearance with the blade each time you change the angle.
        Happy cross-cutting!!
        Steve.

Comment

Wife will order EB-3 this weekend for Christmas, If I have any say that is, still cannot talk her into the planer I know she wants soooooooooooo bad. LOL
          ________
          Volcano Digital

Comment

NTW,
            Good fortune to you with the EB-3. You gota fight your own battles with the planer.
            Steve.

Comment

no battle, she will give in, I hope
              ________
              BMW M3 HISTORY

Comment

Wifie, givving in???
                Na. Never seen it.
                G' Fortune to ya.

Comment

Originally posted by newtowood View Post
                  Wife will order EB-3 this weekend for Christmas, If I have any say that is, still cannot talk her into the planer I know she wants soooooooooooo bad. LOL
                  Here's the justification angle. ...A planer will open all kinds of doors for lumber sources, which ultimately can save a bundle in wood. With a planer, you can use rough sawn or salvaged/reclaimed wood from old furniture, discards, and curb finds as opposed to buying dimensioned lumber from more expensive sources.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                    Here's the justification angle. ...A planer will open all kinds of doors for lumber sources, which ultimately can save a bundle in wood. With a planer, you can use rough sawn or salvaged/reclaimed wood from old furniture, discards, and curb finds as opposed to buying dimensioned lumber from more expensive sources.
                    Ha! This actually was the justification I used when I got a jointer, using almost your exact words! And really, it is true fact when you have both machines. I picked up a sweet pile of black walnut a few months ago. $300 for 176 BF of walnut. Over half of it is 11" wide and was milled and stacked well, so it doesn't have any twist. That's $1.70 / BF! With the jointer and planer, I'm swimming in lovely walnut for, basically, a song. That one deal alone paid for one of those machines, versus paying $4/bf for pre-surfaced wood.. or, God forbid, $14+ /bf from the big box for their shrink wrapped (rip-off) lumber.

Here's what I tell my wife regarding most power tool machines I buy: I'm paying for *efficiency*. With two young kids and a non-woodworking full time job that I have to go to, I need the most expedient methods to get a project done. Otherwise, I have to trim off time with her and our little girls. Currently, I'm trying to sell the idea of a drum sander.

The real main advantage of a planer is this: You are able to un-hitch yourself from 3/4" stock (known in print as 3/4" syndrome). I am in the process right now of making three dresser valet boxes for Christmas presents (step-dad, father-in-law.. and one for me!) They all call for 1/2" lumber. Finding 1/2" black walnut and 1/2" oak is not an easy task at the big boxes or even your friendly neighborhood lumber mill. A planer means you can do whatever project you want without worrying about availability of thinner stock.

... Sadly, my bandsaw is not all it could be and instead of being able to re-saw myself some nice 3/16" x 6" veneer sheets, I had to just plane it all off. Dang thing has the worst drift...
                    Last edited by Wood_Junkie; 11-30-2007, 10:09 AM.

Comment

thanks for the replies, now a debate should be started as to which planer is the best buy, under $500.00 of course, cause ya know to sell to wife I need all the ammo I can muster
                      ________
                      Bmw R75/5
                      Last edited by newtowood; 02-10-2011, 11:02 PM.

Comment

good luck wood_junkie on the drum sander!!!!!
                        ________
                        OMAHA FORD MOTOR COMPANY ASSEMBLY PLANT

Comment

thanks for the replies, now a debate should be started as to which planer is the best buy, under $500.00 of course, cause ya know to sell to wife I need all the ammo I can muster
                          Ridgid TP1300!! It's a darn good planer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                            Ridgid TP1300!! It's a darn good planer.
                            is it true that you cannot find replacement knives for the ridgid?
                            ________
                            Top penny stocks

Comment

Just to add my 2C worth, I have the EB3 as well. Not a single problem with it. Love the long fence and it is solid.

Besides, good enough for Norm...good enough for me.
                              “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

is it true that you cannot find replacement knives for the ridgid?
                                Some people in some areas have said they don't carry them in store. Remember, your blades are reversible... and the planer comes with a spare set. So you essentially have to use (or ruin) 4 "sets" of blades before you need to buy some more.

I picked up one spare set a while back, just to be on the safe side.. but honestly, after 18 months I'm still on my original set of blades and I've put several hundred board feet through there. Recently I've noticed the blades have a tiny chip in them, but the little ridge it leaves is to easy to plane and/or sand out I haven't felt it necdessary to change the blades.

Comment

Working...
                                X