Osborne EB-3 miter gauge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osborne EB-3 miter gauge

Anyone used the Osborne EB-3 miter gauge on the 3650? I am trying to decide between Incra 1000SE and the Osborne. My wife is Christmas shopping for me and she needs ideas. Think I will buy her a planer!!!!!
    ________
    Mercedes-Benz 220 History
    Last edited by newtowood; 02-10-2011, 10:59 PM.
    It is amazing how long it takes to complete a project you are not working on!

Re: Osborne EB-3 miter gauge

I have the EB-3, and I like it. However, the method of setting angles is not *quite* as precise as I had hoped. My zero-degree detente has a little bit of play. Consequently sometimes I'm cutting more around 89 degrees. Big deal? Not really, unless it's a fairly wide piece I'm cross-cutting.

Also, storing this big honkin' miter gauge was problematic, so I built a small wall mounted "holster/shelf" out of scrap and I store it upright. A normal miter gauge could have fit (more or less) in the stock miter gauge bracket on the TS3650.

On the plus side, it is a tank. Once set, the angle doesn't budge a micron. Using it for small or large workpieces is very stable. The extendable fence and flip-stop work great. Moving the fence itself around is easy, and the non-slip face material does its job superbly.

However, given the Incra 1000SE is on sale all over the place right now, I'd also give serious consideration to that. In fact, I think I saw that Woodcraft has a December flyer special on the 1000SE + their sled thing.

Comment

I also have a TS3650 and about 2 months ago I debated over the same issue, I opted for the Incra 1000se. I absolutely love the incra. Once you spend the 2 minutes that it takes to adjust the miter slot rollers its as solid as a rock with absolutely no play whatsoever.I like the fact that I have my choice of using 5 degrees, 1 degrees or 1/2 degree adjustments depending on what I'm doing. Have never used the EB-3 so I can't comment on it but I think you'll have no regrets with the Incra. It reminds me of some of the best women that I've met over the years: Quick, easy and good lookin. Hope this helps.

Comment

The Incra goes to +/- 60 degrees, which can really come in handy sometimes. The EB-3 is +/- 45 degrees. The EB-3 is also now made in China.

Comment

thank you av8r, hewood, and wood junkie, looks like the incra may be the best bet, I do not like Chinese made products. wife says the planer is not an option as she spends a couple of seconds in the shop per month and it would make too much noise in the house!!!!
          ________
          Yamaha cs30/cs30l synthesizer specifications
          Last edited by newtowood; 02-10-2011, 10:59 PM.

Comment

wood_junkie, did you have the quality issues discussed in this forum with defective EB-3?
            ________
            Stocks to buy now
            Last edited by newtowood; 02-10-2011, 11:00 PM.

Comment

I noticed the play in the EB-3 also, however it never shows up in the cut and that is what counts. I always slide the gauge in the slot when setting the adjustment. Can't tell you why I do that,I think it is a machinist's way....
              Anyway, as I have said before, I tried the Kreg and Incra gauges installed on a table and could deflect the fence a tad with morerate pressure applied about 8 inches from the fulcrum. Not so with the Osbourn. Will not move.
              It is disturbing the EB-3 is now made overseas.
              Where are the other miter gauges made?
              Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by newtowood View Post
                wood_junkie, did you have the quality issues discussed in this forum with defective EB-3?
                newtowood, I wasn't aware of a thread on EB-3 defects and what-not. I haven't had any issues with my Osborne, other than the tiny amount of slop at the zero degree mark. Since I don't change angles *all* that often, it's not a big issue to me.

Like Stevan said, once it's set, it doesn't move. It is definitely the most solid-feeling miter gauge and fence I've set hands on (I toyed and "tested" the various selections at Woodcraft).

I wasn't aware it was made in China now, and frankly I couldn't tell. Some tools are very obvious nowadays.

Comment

I am torn between the two gauges, I like the video of the Osborne but I like the review of the Incra in October Wood magazine, may toss a coin. Here is an answer to an emai that David Osborne sent to me when I asked him about quality issues:

Years ago with the EB-1 we had a welding problem with a batch of about 100 units. Since then the EB2 has come and gone and the EB-3 has been selling for about 5 years. This woodworking review may be helpful.
                  http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/osbrneb3.html
                  We do not have problems with this product. If you should have any difficulty we will quickly resolve it. Norm Abram has used our miter guide for 10 years. He can use any tool he wants and he uses ours. He even sells them on his website and calls it "absolutely indispensable".
                  Here is the homepage for his site, he is standing behind the EB-3.
                  ________
                  Herbal Vaporizer

Comment

OOPS, I was wrong , guess that is what you get for listening to some people, the following is an exert from the web page listed above. It seems that the EB-3 is in fact not made in China in a sweat shop after all:

The EB-3 is now manufactured for Osborne Manufacturing by Excalibur Tool in Pickering, Ontario, Canada. Excalibur brings increased manufacturing capacity and capabilities that help keep up with demand while maintaining strict quality standards. As testament to their confidence in the quality of the EB-3, Excalibur gave it a lifetime warranty.

Sorry if I steered some of you wrong!!!!!
                    ________
                    Toyota jz engine

Comment

Ha! That's funny that he "name dropped" Norm.

I also read that miter gauge overview and reviews in WOOD. I really thought they short-shrifted the Osborne, and in fact, incorrectly stated that shifting the fence to the other side somehow put the non-slip tape on the wrong side. WTH?

Comment

OOPS, I was wrong , guess that is what you get for listening to some people, the following is an exert from the web page listed above. It seems that the EB-3 is in fact not made in China in a sweat shop after all:

The EB-3 is now manufactured for Osborne Manufacturing by Excalibur Tool in Pickering, Ontario, Canada. Excalibur brings increased manufacturing capacity and capabilities that help keep up with demand while maintaining strict quality standards. As testament to their confidence in the quality of the EB-3, Excalibur gave it a lifetime warranty.

Sorry if I steered some of you wrong!!!!!
                        It's my understanding that General International bought Excalibur and that the manufacturing moved from Canada to Asia. It's also my understanding that the manufacturing issues they had a few years ago were pinned on the Canadian facility and were corrected when they went overseas. I could be wrong, but those are the "internet facts" that come to mind.

Edit - Just checked GI's website and confirmed. AFAIK, the main purpose of the having the GI line vs General "Canada" is to differentiate between the Canadian made products and the imports, which lends more support to the theory that the EB-3 is made in Asia, not Canada. :

http://www.general.ca/excalibur/page...n/welcome.html

Name:  026cb9f8b1af25b54fa81f021a36a03c.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  10.5 KB Name:  a0b48b8d7dc34a22362ecf94cdfc5aac.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  75.7 KB

A quote from General's website regarding the Excalibur brand:
                        The addition of the reputable and well known “Excalibur” brand to our line-up has been an exciting and challenging venture.The “Excalibur” brand will continue to be sold and marketed under the slightly modified “Excalibur by General International” label. The goal is to wherever possible, take advantage of the economies of scale afforded us with our global manufacturing partners to reduce costs without compromising quality or functionality; ultimately making the Excalibur brand more affordable and therefore more accessible to the average woodworker.
                        Last edited by hewood; 11-29-2007, 10:52 AM. Reason: supporting data

Comment

... Norm Abram has used our miter guide for 10 years. He can use any tool he wants...
                          I'm not sure that it's true that Norm can use any tool he wants on the show. Delta is a primary sponsor, and we're seeing more and more of Norm's shop using only tools associated with Delta. Delta is now owned by B&D who owns several well known brands....nearly everything he uses ties to one of them now. DeWalt used to offer a version of the EB-3 as an option for their DW746 hybrid, so I suspect there's an alliance with Osborne somewhere there. That's not to say Norm doesn't and wouldn't choose the EB-3 over any other, but I don't believe he has absolute freedom of choice any more...he's even using a Porter Cable Razor saw blade now.

Comment

man, you guys really do the research!! Think I will still try the EB-3, can you go wrong when the company offers a lifetime warranty??? I really like this forum, it is chock full of information
                            ________
                            Headshops
                            Last edited by newtowood; 02-10-2011, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I really like the EB-3. the first one I bought would not adjust in the miter slot so I exchanged it for another. The second gauge functions perfectly well. I think the apparent slop in the angle setting is of no concern. In fact, if it locked in without play, I might be worried. don't ask why, it's that machinists thing again.... It's size and weight are to it's benefit. The advantages of the triangulated design can not be disputed. Superior thinking on the part of Mr. (I will spell it correctly this time) Osborne.

Comment

Working...
                              X