need constructive critisism on project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need constructive critisism on project

I am welcoming constructive criticism on the desk I built for the mother in law's Christmas gift. This is my first self designed project. Designed with Google Sketch-up and 1/2 inch birch plywood from Lowes. I will not get my feelings hurt in any way no matter what is said. I really would like to know what seasoned pros think, or seasoned beginners for that matter. This is your chance to praise or slam my work. Built with TS3650 and JP0610 Jointer/Planer.
    ________
    HONDA 1300 SPECIFICATIONS
    Attached Files
    Last edited by newtowood; 02-10-2011, 11:00 PM.
    It is amazing how long it takes to complete a project you are not working on!

Re: need constructive critisism on project

I like it. Not sure if you planned it but cutting the doors and drawer fronts from the same continuous part of the plywood helps with grain flow.
    The only suggestion I would make is to buy your wood from a mill or outfit that sells rough lumber, someone that specializes in wood products will have better products and may also be cheaper and perhaps using 3/4 instead of 1/2 for a more substantial look to the project unless you were shooting for delicate

Comment

lightweight was the goal, as mother in law is getting up in age and she will probably move it around. I did plan door and drawers from same piece of wood for grain flow. Thank you for your comments. Once I get my planer I will go to the local sawmill for better wood to build the next project. Again, THANK YOU
      ________
      Yamaha Tx500

Comment

I like your project, my only thing is the handle clashes w/the knobs. Maybe its just me, but everything looks good, nice job!!!
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager, makes sense to me now that someone mentioned it, This is what I am looking for is real answers.
          ________
          FORD DURANGO PICTURE

Comment

My concern here is that it doesn't look very sturdy, especially if you mother-in-law is going to move it around. With half-inch ply, that left panel doesn't look like it will take a lot of stress, and I presume you have just glued and screwed the horizontal edge to the the sides. I think I would have brought that back panel all the way to the bottom to stiffin the left side, but maybe a cross-member or two at the bottom might do the trick and also provide her a foot rest.

Also, that top storage area, is it supported across the back (closed in or open). If not then do you get any wobble up there. Again, I am presuming that you have only edge fastened similar to what the lower half is.

Lastly, what kind of hinges are you using on the two top doors? There my concern is that you may get some sag over time and considering the highth vs the width of the doors it doesn't look like a lot of support, unless you'll using a hinge substantial enough to hold.

Sorry to be so critical. I do like the simplicity of the design and appreciate the fact that you're trying to keep the weight to a minimum.

Thanks for sharing,

CWS

Comment

Looking good, but I think I'd try to find a way to add a face frame to the exposed edges seen in the pics to "thicken" it up visually and structurally.

Comment

I can't really tell from the pics, but if the front edge of the keyboard drawer is a sharp 90 degree corner, you'll want to smooth it off or put a rounded piece on the end of it so her wrists don't get hurt from resting them on it, if she does so.

Hmm... if it were a bit wider and deeper you could incorporate a Geroge Kastanza bed into the bottom...

Comment

the lower back panel has already been cut to put in place once it comes in the house, the upper storage area is supported across the back with 1/2" ply, and three dividers to give it four compartments and add strength, all horizontal edge joints have been rabbeted for added glue surface. Upper hinges are heave duty and support the large doors very well. I do appreciate the honesty everyone is sharing as this has been a learning experience for me.
                  ________
                  HOW TO MAKE A VAPORIZER
                  Last edited by newtowood; 02-10-2011, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I wrapped veneer on the exposed edges to provide a smooth edge as not to have a harsh edge that would scratch or cut the person using it, although it did not accept the stain very well, any better ideas from the pros?
                    ________
                    HONDA NQ50
                    Last edited by newtowood; 02-10-2011, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Couldnt have worded it better myself.

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                      Looking good, but I think I'd try to find a way to add a face frame to the exposed edges seen in the pics to "thicken" it up visually and structurally.

Comment

That's your first project? Nice work!! The grain matching on the door and drawer fronts is terrific. I agree with some of the others' comments on how it looks a bit thin to be supporting weight. Especially the top portion where most likely books and paper will end up. The weight of all that material may, over time, prove to be a bit much and the lower horizontal piece may bow. a hardwood edge piece would help that, as well as provide a better stain surface than the thin wood tapes for finishing plywood edges. A stiffener across the back would help, too.
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I would have to agree with the other's assessment as far as the strength issues of the horizonal surfaces and the left leg, especially if frequent moving is planned.
                          Asthetically....and this is only my opinion, the proportions are a bit off. It seems high for it's width, which may also be a concern when moving.
                          Functionally, there may be a little issue with the door. It goes too close to the floor. Toe-kick space not only "looks" more like what we are used to seeing, there is a point to it. Anything, no matter how small, is in the way of opening the door.
                          A piece of solid wood applied to the edge of the keyboard tray would allow you to round-over the edge w/o exposing the ply. It might take a little effort to get the stain to match perfectly, but it will wear better over time too.

As a first project, it is great. The attention to detail needed to match the grain, is not common in first timer's work. This is definately a good way to learn to improve.

Comment

I think it's excellent for a first time project. The strength of the 1/2" ply might be an issue but as long as the load on the desk is kept within reasonable use (like not stacking a set of encyclopedias on top ) it should be just fine. Considering how weak the average particle board junk desks most people buy, this should be much sturdier regardless. Only the left leg should really be braced a little lower to give it more stability.

Aesthetically I would use solid wood for the edges and maybe round them off a little to break the square look a bit. Make the edge pieces wider to give it a stronger look. It also looks a lot more elegant and pro that way.

Comment

Man, you guys are tough, just exactly what I was hoping for, I will learn a lot from this forum. Some people can take it and some cannot, I can take it and welcome ALL comments!!!!
                              ________
                              Deauville
                              Last edited by newtowood; 02-10-2011, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X