Ridgid R2900 Router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R2900 Router

I originally purchased this router with the intentions of making different profiles & rabbits to make my own picture frames.

I have having difficulty controlling the rate of feed. I have tried slowing the motor down to its lowest speed (10,000 rpms). I have tried moving the piece further away from the bit in order to do multiple feeds to create the profile.
    None of that seems to work.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Ridgid R2900 Router

I think I need more information.

Are you using a router table? What kind of problems are you having, tearout, burning, if using free-hand, you can't control the router from wandering, etc.

For this type of work, you need a router table, and in such cases, the feeding of the material to the router is pretty easy to control with proper setup I think. But, let us know more of the specifics and I'm sure there will be a lot of advice.

BTW... Welcome to the forum!!!

CWS

Comment

Species of wood and dryness also affect it.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

The R2900 router is attached to the router table that was manufactured by Ridgid for the router. Ther router is properly centered and I am using the fencing to measure the distance the wood is away from the bits.
        I don't believe the bits are too high or too low.

I previously had an older Craftsman router which was also attached to a table. I was much more successful with the older router but it died on me and I felt that getting a newer one would make things easier. It has not.

Comment

Just curious, are you making sure to feed the workpiece in the correct direction? You should always feed against the bit rotation, not in the same direction or the piece will tend to self feed into the bit. You probably already know that but it's just a thought since you say you are having trouble controlling the feedrate.

Comment

Zack,

I think you lost me... Ridgid doesn't make a router table for this or any other router that I know off.

You stated, "Ther router is properly centered and I am using the fencing to measure the distance the wood is away from the bits."

You are NOT attempting to feed the wood, between the fence and the router bit I hope!!! If so, this is very dangerous.

The fence is adjusted to surround the cutter, leaving just the measured amount of the cutter surface exposed to shave or shape the wood. With the fence properly set, you feed the workpiece into the cutter from the left is, guiding it along the fence and into the cutter. You should use finger boards and hold downs where necessary and you feed speed should be such that the wood passes throught the cutter without hesitation. You dust, should look more like small shavings and there should be no burnng or tearout

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Working...
            X