Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want To Build A new Work shop

Hello all
    I need somw ideas from those of you who have shops other then a garage. I'm planing on putting up a new shed in my back yard. I'm some what limited on space to put it. I was looking at about 12'x16'. I ahve a Ridgid TS-2424, MS1250, EB4424,And Drill Press. Air Compressor(Pancake type). I plan On adding the Ridgid Planer, Jointer and Lathe. Does any one out there have a shop about that size. And if so how does it work for you. Also what style of shed is it. I'm renting the house I live in so I'm loking at a shed that can be moved. I know my Land lord wont mind me doing this. Any one with Idea's that will help me will be great. I do have power to the shop I have now and it wont be muxh trouble rerouting to the new shed. How about it any want to help.
    Thanks
    Dan<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101</a>

I am close to completing my 12X28 and am far from an expert. However, the two concepts i started with were: 1. I wanted to be able to rip a sheet of 4x8 plywood so I needed lot of infeed and outfeed space. 2. I wanted a seperate space (sound insulated) for the dust collector and air compressor. I'm an electrical contractor so it wasn't a problem for me but I would also recommend losts of 120 and 220 capabilities at different locations in case your layout changes. Finally, I need hints on how to keep dust off the TV screen and out of the A/C input filter !! (Smile) Good Luck.

Comment

You might consider recessed lighting fixtures to allow standing 8' pieces of wood and moving them around. A fluorescent light over the work bench or a stationary tool works best.

Comment

I have a 12x20x7H from Stateline builders http://www.statelinebuilders.com/buildings.html. I did not need a building permit It meets all my needs ,TS 2424,drill press (coming DP1550), router table, workbench and bandsaw BS 1400, 50 amp subpanel. I can rip 4x8's no problem It can be move. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

here is what i did for a wood shop. i have only been into woodworking for a short time, dont have much money so found a used 12x65 foot house trailer for 1000.00, gutted it out and use half for my woodworking, left a partition in the center, and use the other half fot sitting room and finishing. came with all electric hookups, toilet, sink,furnice,i left the kitchen cabinets in for some storage. it cost me 200.00 to deliver and tie down. i left raised up and use underneath for lumber storage. if you look around at the places that sell new house trailers you will pick up an old trailer that was traded in, and pick up fairly cheap.hope this gives someone an idea.i could never build a shop this size for that price.it is all insulated and if i ever want to move it, just call the trailer place i bought it from and they will move it, good luck, al

Comment

Re: Want To Build A new Work shop

I have a work shop about 14x24
            It gets crowded quite fast when building large items
            Make sure you have at least a ten foot ceiling for clearing tall boards etc.

If I could.. I'd prefer a shop around 30x60 then I'd have room to move stuff around and still
            maintain a larger work area....right now I need to dance around when working on large projects.

Also think about fire proofing.....then you can also set up a welding station

Cactus Man

Comment

placement of doors and windows can really help a small shop,

by placing a set of double doors so you can put the saw in a location to cut with the doors being a pass for the lumber, can make a big difference on the usability of the shop.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I know the woodworker's forum has been slow, but is there a reason to reply to am almost 10 year old post?

No rudeness intended

Comment

Originally posted by cjh20 View Post
                  I know the woodworker's forum has been slow, but is there a reason to reply to am almost 10 year old post?

No rudeness intended
                  Name:  c9ada7ae77bce577993b99db035d1952.gif
Views: 3
Size:  50.5 KB

Comment

Working...
                  X