X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work you think?

Hi see pic, this is a 48x96 arced on the sides and ends table that will be face laminated three 4/4 pieces thick of peruvian walnut. The inlay is the part im asking your opinion on.
    6 inches in on all 4 sides there will be a 2 inch wide inlay that follows table angles. Also one inlay in the middle thats shaped like the table 8x16. Since the table is laminated Im thinking of getting the first two all glued up and the third treated as as seperate piece.
    I want to take my mdf template just to router the arced edges since it will be so thick and I need a clean cut. The inlay part I think im going to take 4 pieces of Padouk 4/4 planed and jointed make them into a a box shape, then trace my lines or draw them in from a pattern of the inlay. Then cut out inlay with jig saw or bandsaw.Fasten the inlay together so it is one. Then lay inlay on top of top layer of table thats not glues to the other two layers. Trace the inlay onto top with a very sharp pencil and then cut out the inlay track out of top with jig saw just inside the lines, sand what I need to and fit padouk inlay into it.

This sounds easier to me than to rout out the inlay and worry about tearouts and also transferring so many templates over that may compromise accuracy.Then to fit an inlay into that that has be dead on accurate.

Thanks for your time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3102c9c85e0ac5b6a92b0cf909b152fa.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	2273

Re: Will this work you think?

It sounds like it would work but I must admit I have never done inlay to the scale that you are doing on this project.
    If I were to do it I think I would still go with a router and inlay guide using a 1/4" solid carbide downcut spiral bit. I have some concerns with trying to glue 4 separate pieces of wood together (walnut outer ring, Padouk inner ring, thick walnut ring, and Padouk center).
    If you cut 1/4" thick inlay (really thick for inlay) you still have a minimum 3/4" thick solid walnut structure to insert the Padouk into. I know there is no structural concern having another 2" solid wood under the top layer my concern is getting everything together.
    The other concern is the moisture expansion rates of the two different species, if Padouk differs greatly from the Walnut you may cause the outer walnut ring to crack, If you do a thin layer of inlay it would not have the strength to move the walnut.

Comment

here pics of it done. Inlay fits I just need to chisel corners out cause the router bit made round.

Name:	6ac7725409027f8284365d0db6e1f8d1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2412

Name:	57e9a459606ad068af00bcfe4685dd85.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	2413

Comment

Impressive work Woody hope you post some pics of the final table. What finish are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by NailBanger View Post
          Impressive work Woody hope you post some pics of the final table. What finish are you using?
          Im sending it out. Not sure yet, just multiple clear layers sprayed on with HVLP gun. I hat finishing. Especially on something so large. It wouldnt come out smooth unless you had a gun.

Comment

I have done several tables that size with a Tung Oil Varnish. Looks hand rubbed with thin multiple layers. Moisture resistant and hard as nails. Best part is how it looks. Makes for a heart stopping finish.

Comment

I have done several tables that size with a Tung Oil Varnish. Looks hand rubbed with thin multiple layers. Moisture resistant and hard as nails. Best part is how it looks. Makes for a heart stopping finish.
              Clients looking for at least a semi gloss or more.Hes supposed to let me know monday. Tung oil after put on multiple layers looks shiny or dull? Thanks

Comment

It has more luster than a semi-gloss but it must be tung oil varnish not just tung oil. Pure tung oil would have to be used with a beeswax top coat, tung oil varnish is a stand alone finish.

Comment

It has more luster than a semi-gloss but it must be tung oil varnish not just tung oil. Pure tung oil would have to be used with a beeswax top coat, tung oil varnish is a stand alone finish.
                  Cool, Thanks

Comment

Name:	eb06eceaac27c054bc338545930a7eea.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2435 Padouk inlay.

Name:	5e3a9f9a3753e5fb0d21403943b581f1.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB