X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2400 versus Bosch 4000

I have been reading this board for quite some time now, and am very impressed with the level of detail in the answers... so after much research on my own, I have a question for the experts here. I am looking to purchase a portable table saw (space limits me from getting a contractor style saw), and have come down to: Ridgid TS2400, and the Bosch 4000.

Pro's and Con's from anyone?

The only thing that seems lacking on the Bosch is that there is no Height Adjustment Lock, whereas the Ridgid does have this. The other concern that I have is that I want to mount this on a Tool Dock station (flat top workbench basically), and the Ridgid's owners manual states that if you do this you have to have an opening below the tool if you do not have a vaccuum hooked up (i.e. cut a hole in the workbench top!). The Bosch does not make this same recommendation. I will not use a vaccuum system, so the question is: if I want to mount on a flat surface (rather than the cart that comes with the Ridgid) will that cause me major problems with the dust build-up under the saw?

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to make a purchase this weekend - Home Depot with the 6 months same as cash, and Woodworkers Warehouse with the 10% off first purchase when you open a credit card...

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Scott,
    I cannot make any pro or cons in the actual saw department, but having a cheap benchtop saw that I use to rip scraps into kindling, basically Ridgid is addressing a sawdust problem that Bosch isn't. If you use a benchtop saw for a heavy amount of work, the sawdust under the saw is tremendous! Sawdust is an insulator, so a lot of sawdust under the saw against the motor = huge heat buildup. I blew the circuitbreaker on my benchtop by not paying attention after twenty minutes of sawing. It was packed solid!
    So to review: they both will have the problem, Ridgid is making you aware of it to save your motor. HTH
    \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

I have the Bosch 4000 and I love it..Get a smile on my face every time I use it, it cuts so nice...plenty of power...I have resawed 6" maple in just two passes.

The blade guard is one of the best you will find but I have made a knife for mine, as I use it for resawing and with the cross cutting table I made for the saw..

The lack of a height locking lever has never caused me any problems never had a adjustment change on me. Always rise the blade to your cutting height not lower it.

You do have to clean out the lifting gears a couple times a year...Not sure if it would work just sitting on a bench ( mine is on the folding stand that I added little wheels to so I can roll it around the shop) but it does have a vacuum port on the back that directs the saw dust out, even with out the vacuum hooked up..

You might want to check out the group on Yahoo to see what some of us have done with the saw..

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bosch_...yguid=90030158

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I will check out that Yahoo group as well.

Comment

Scott,
          I think I would go for the Ridgid, I have tryed the TS2400Ls and was very pleased. Ridgid has really put a nice blade hight lock on this saw, also soft start. I downloaded the manual for the Bosch 4000. In the service note's section its states, (if the customer complaines about the blade hight lock the service centers can fix this). You would need to find a service center. Then give your new saw up for awhile for the repairs.The fence on the Ridgid is super. The miter gauge is snug and right with the Ridgid. I have read complaints about the Bosch. Dust collection was really good on the Ridgid. Blade changing is easy and you enough room for a full size Dado blade.

Comment

Thanks again for the feedback. How does this sound for a solution to the dust collection: if I prop the saw up off the table top (say with 2x4s or something like that) it would give ample room to blow the sawdust out with an airgun periodically. Would that help avoid the problems previously mentioned, or is that not enough space?

Thanks - I am certainly leaning towards the rigid...

Scott

Comment

Raised up on 2x4's would be plenty high enough. As I said, I clogged mine up ripping solid for twenty minutes, so more normal use wouldn't make so much dust. My elcheapo benchtop has barely a half inch gap under it.
              \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think the 2400 is the only benchtop that has a bevel adjustment knob. All the others just flop when you unlock the bevel adjustment.

Comment

You may want to go to Amazon.com to read the comments. The elevation gears are plastic on the Bosch and are not replaceable except as an assembly. I have the Ryobi BT3000 on a Ridgid portable stand and am very pleased. I has router ability and is belt drive and SMT. The dust collection is built in and it is smoother than the direct drive saws.I do not like all the plastic on the other bench top saws too. www.btcentral.com is a place to look.
                  I also have a 3650 Ridgid that replaced my old sears saw and wired to 220v .I am pleased so far except for the stand which is much lighter gauge than my Ridgid jointer and band saw.

Comment

I have a 4000. Not a bad saw, but I think I would go for the TS2400L if I had to do it over. Everyone gave glowing reviews for the Bosch, but they couldn't even put holes in the miter gage and rip fence for aux. fences. And I don't like the way the rip fence locks up - it tilts to the right after locking. I've spoken to Bosch about it, but nothing ever happens. I think the rip fences on the Rigid, and even the cheaper Craftsman $349/$399 portable saw are better designed than the Bosch's setup. The splitter is probably better positioned on the Bosch, in that it raises and lowers with the blade, but what is on the TS2400L is the same/similar as all of the Rigid saws, so you wouldn't have anything less with the portable. If I were wanting to save money ($350 on sale), I think I would go with the Craftsman portable (their "top end" portable). It wouldn't surprise me that all three are made in the same plant in Taiwan, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X