X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Fellas

I've been a regular lurker here for months; see-sawing on whether I should buy this or that. I think that I've read almost every post, although I'm not sure why.

These latest markdowns at HD conviced me to take the plunge and get the much discussed bandsaw. It's hard to argue that the bad aspects outweigh the "new" cost. I even used my new knowlege that that Big Orange is willing to negotiate, and got an even better deal.

Long story short - I knew just what to do to get the thing humming, and I couldn't be happier. In retrospect, I would have been disappointed if I hadn't been reading all of these posts - good and bad. A new blade, a change of belt, and cool blocks and I'm off and running with no regrets.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you folks that ask and answer questions here that it was a great help to me and I wanted to extend a big ole Thank You for it.

I wonder how many other people are out there just like me - not much to contribute, but a great deal to learn and bennefit from.

My guess is that you have alot more to contribute than you are letting on. This place can alway use one more point of view. I'll bet that once you start cranking out projects with that bandsaw, we probably won't be able to shut you up.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would guess a lot of us are like you describe. When I first found the forum, I don't know, maybe a couple years ago, I read and read and read but did not contribute ... I didn't know anything .. at least that is how I felt. The folks on this forum convinced me to buy the TS3612 when it was new. After I finally made that purchase is when I started posting IIRC (If I Remember Correctly). Now that you have your Bandsaw you have to post regularly, it is an unwritten forum rule
      Alan
      My Shop

Comment

Ok Alan, I'm going to take you up on that rule, but I admit I'm a bit late.

I'm really just getting started in the world of woodworking. My grandfather was great with his hands and built a lot of things himself, back in the days when that's all the average millworker could afford to do. My dad has never been one to do a lot himself. I'm not sure if it's cause he lacks the skill or the desire, maybe a little of both, but he's done and continues to do great things with his heart and mind, so that was his calling. But I've had the hands-on bug since I was young, and my dad recognized it and often told me how proud my grandfather would be of my skills (he died when I was only 2 so I never really got to know him).

Although I have always been good with my hands, I never figured I could do any kind of woodworking. I started out doing electrical work, obtained a master electrician's license at the age of 21. I did that for about 20 years starting at the age of 16 and that was long enough. By then I was heavy into computers and now make my living that way.

But not until last August when my wife and I bought a house did I realize that I do indeed have some skill in woodworking. We had bought a microwave to go over the stove. However, the [oak] cabinet was too low so it had to be 'shortened'. Something told me that it couldn't be that difficult, but at the time I didn't have much for woodworking tools - ask me to put lights in it, now that's different.

So I studied it long and hard, figured out what had to be done, borrowed an old beat up table saw and attacked it. When all was said and done, the looking and planning took far longer than the actual work. I started at the local custom kitchen store where they luckily had a couple short doors to match my cabinets in their warehouse. I took out the cabinet, marked it for the cuts, disassembled it, made the cuts, which included several passes over the TS to 'dado' the bottom shelf slots since I cut the originals off, reassembled it and mounted it back in place. The whole project work part of the project took less than a day, which included raising the outlet that someone had installed in it prior to us owning the house. Turns out there was a microwave before but not mounted under the cabinet. They had it sitting on a shelf next to it and ran the cord through the side to this hidden outlet.

Once the microwave was in place, I must say it looked as if it was always there. My wife was very impressed. That was key, since it helped convince her that I needed to set up a woodshop in the basement and buy some tools.

So what's the point of this loooongg story of my life? I guess just to confirm your idea that this forum is probably full of people that are just starting out, so hopefully it'll make others visiting here, that aren't necessarily lifelong woodworkers, confident enough to start.

To date, my shop consists of: A 3HP Grizzly cabinet table saw and Grizzly dust collection system, both of which I picked up from a guy that was selling off his woodshop to move. A Porter Cable router with both fixed and plunge bases; I'm going to fabricate a router table for it at the right end of the TS. I then got a Porter Cable finish nailer combo kit that included a pancake compressor, a brad nailer and finish nailer, you know, the $299 kits at HD. I also picked up a couple Ridgid sanders, the sheet sander and 5" orbital. But my most recent and nicest toy was the MS1290LZ sliding compound miter saw. I managed to get the Ridgid stuff on the last day of the lifetime warranty deal. As time goes on I plan to pick up some more Ridgid tools, but for now, that's about all I could get past congress; oops, I mean, my wife!

My plan is to build furniture, clocks, picture frames, small stuff. Cabinet making isn't the plan but who knows. So that's my story. Hope everyone's still awake! Happy woodworking!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

woodhobbyist

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        If it's worth making beautiful, make it with wood.

Comment

Longhorn,

It does not matter what brand of tools you have, what matters is that you have the desire to do something w/your hands and that you are careful. I have done sheet metal costruction for 32 years and WWing for part of that time. I respect all tools I use, if you don't they WILL bite you.

Also welcome to the world of woodworking and this forum

Randy

Comment

Working...
          X