No announcement yet.

Learn from my mistake

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn from my mistake

Read so this doesn't happen to you.

I use a "left" handed cicular saw. I like the blade on the left. Its easier, for me, to see my cut.
    I was cutting mostly 2 X 4's that afternoon. I then needed to rip down some plywood, maybe about 1.5 inches off the edge. I was using the saw guide to keep my cut straight. After beginning the cut,I began to drift away from the plywood. I used my left thumb to help push the saw guide back against the plywood. Well, I momentarilly forgot about the other fingers on my left hand but, quickly remembered as my "bird" finger and ring finger found the blade of the saw. YAHOO!!!
    Luckily, I only required 6 stitches to sew up the battle wounds. Didn't quite get to the bone.
    ...But, I did finish the cut before I went to the hospital.

2)Don't work when you're too tired to THINK.
    3)Adjust your blade depth for every cut.

Any other similar stories out there?...or am I the only goofus?
    keep makn\' sawdust!...just don\'t breath any.

Man! I think you win the prize for fastest-injury-to-a-Ridgid-forum-newbie!

Hope you'll be feeling better, it sounds like it could have been much worst! Thanks for sharing so we don't repeat the same mistakes.

Good recovery.

Ouch! I did similar - was holding down a piece of thin plastic to trim it under a piece of wood on my table saw. It kicked back, threw the wood, cut my watch band off, and cut 1/8 to 1/4? out of the heel of my left hand. 11 stitches! Praise the Lord no tendons were affected. Have a 1.5 inch scar (welt) and that heel doesn't feel 100% normal - could have been much worse!

had a makita plate jointer that i got rid of after only a few uses. the makita uses a "pressure" bolt to secure the bottom plate. i had only had it a few months and was cutting some slots for a speaker stand. the bolt vibrated loose and the blade was exposed, which i did not realize until my left hand contacted the blade underneath. only lost the very tip of my ring finger but it did chop up a bit more of my hand and hurt like hell. thought maybe i was missing something but all the makitas are (or at least were) made the same way!i contacted makita and they said they were going to look into it. i dont know if they ever did...but i got rid of mine and have not had a problem since

You're definitely not the only goofus here. All of us have made a mistake at one time or another (hopefully, most were very small mistakes).

I was sanding a piece much too small for a large disc sander. As I pressed the piece into the disc, the sandpaper caught the piece, jerked it out of my hands, and sent it airborn through my 10th Grade woodshop class. My index finger poked the disc straight on, and the sandpaper "grabbed" the skin and jerked it loose, but not off. Basically, the skin on my fingertip was still there but no longer connected all the way underneath back to even with the base of my fingernail. Ever torn a nail into the quick?? Increase that surface area by a factor of about a hundred. Stung like crazy and hurt for a week.

I did about the same thing when I was in high school in shop class. Sanding a small arch on a 12" high speed disc sander. It was very thin, and the equipment very poorly maintained. The disc grabbed the wood, upturned it, and it went between the disc and the table. Leaving the pressure from my fingertips to endulge the full force the 60 grit disc. A quick 1/10 second was all it took to remove about 3/16" from 2 finger tips.

The following year when I was TAing that same class, I had not yet regained full feeling in those 2 finger tips. And to this day, when in cold weather, they hurt.

Mistakes; you'll feel them forever. Running in auto pilot is the most careless thing you can do. Plan, and think through the whole procedure. And stay aware of the dangers. KNOW where your body parts are AND the cutters.

You may have done it a 1000 times, but it only takes one mistake, to forever know it.
            John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\"></a>

I've learned as well. Here's what I've learned:

Don't use your fingers to do what a pushstick can do.

Never lift wood into a drill press bit, keep the wood on the table and pull the drill down.

A table saw is not a bandsaw. Never "free hand" anything on it, use a fence.

Miter Saws absolutely require 2 surfaces, a base and a fence. Also never cut small stuff on one. It's not a bandsaw either.

Finally, apply this logic: IF the wood were to suddenly dissapear, where would your hands go? Because sometimes this happens. (Read -use pushsticks)