No announcement yet.

Looking at Dado blades

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at Dado blades

While I'm in the market for a new TS, any views on a good Dado blade for my soon to be new TS? I have never used a Dado before, but from what I have read, the stacked dado seems to be better than the wobbley type. But I don't know a good brand and model. Any tips?

Re: Looking at Dado blades

Freud SD206, Freud SD208 (under $100) are both good and not overly inexpensive. The SD206 is 6" diameter which, altho it will not cut as deep as dado (max is a little over 1") it is plenty for most usage and furniture applications, and puts less strain on the saw. I have the SD208 (8" diameter) that I use on my Ridgid TS3650 with no problems, having cut 1" deep by 3/4" wide dados in white oak. Had to go slow but that is part of knowing your equipment. Either should serve you well.
    The SD500 series (about $100 more) has the advantage of a 3/32" cutter, which reduces the need for shims, especially as they downsize the stock lumber and plywood, and it has 4 tooth chippers, so it gives a smoother cut. If you are going to do a lot of hard woods (by hard, I mean higher on the Janka scale, not just a hardwood tree which is any that drops its leaves in the winter), such as white oak, pecan, hickory, rock maple, cocobola, ipe, etc, the higher tooth count on both the outside blades and the chippers on the 500 series will probably mean longer times between resharpening which will offset the initial cost.
    Some posting here have had good luck with the DeWalt dado, which also has 4 tooth chippers, but I will let them give their opinion as I have not used or seen one.
    If you buy a saw that pulls less than 13 amps @ 120 volts, I would not go with the 8" dado as it may overstrain the saw, and if doing a lot of really hard wood, I would stay with the 6" with almost any 120 volt saw. I have the 8" mainly because I was able to get it for $50 from someone upgrading to the 500 series, but I have no complaints as to performance.
    I would not waste money on a wobble-type adjustable dado. I have a 6" one (sears) that i will give to anyone paying shipping or just coming by to pick it up. A 6" Vermont American (about $45) stacked set with paper shims gives better cuts for less price IMHO.
    (have one of those, too, which I use in "reclaimed" lumber in case I find that stray nail or staple I missed with my old stud finder).
    Hope some of my past experience helps you.

Practicing at practical wood working

The terms "wobble" and "saw blade" in the same sentence should be cause for pause! A stacked set is definitely the way to go...carbide tipped too.

Not sure what you want to spend, but it's possible to buy a dado set in the $20 to $300 range. The $20 set from Harbor Freight isn't likely to give good results...I"ve seen some pics and it looked pretty bad. Cheap sets are generally a poor investment. Grizzly has a $50 set that some are pleased with. $80-$100 should ensure a decent set. I've owned the Freud SD208 and the DeWalt DW7670, which run in the $75-$100 range. Both are good sets, but the DW has twice as many teeth and leaves the cleaner cut of the two. It also has nicer shim stock, an extra chipper, and a nicer carrying case. The DW7670 is also available as the Delta 35-7670 and the DeWalt H7000.

The high end will include Forrest, Ridge Carbide, Infinity, Amana, CMT, Freud's SD508 and 608, Systimatic to name some of the top contenders. Expect to pay $150+.

Thanks for the info. I don't mind spending extra for better equipment. Now I have some info to work with. Thanks again.

I live in Canada, I have a shop and use Dimar stacked dato blades, very good, about $260 canadian, but also designed to work well with melamine.