HD's TS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HD's TS

[quote=tpwade;108512]I couldn't help but add this quote from the president of Home Depot Canada. I wonder whether there is any truth to the generalization?
    An American is likely to "scream at you, but then come back the next day. . . A Canadian customer doesn't scream - they just quietly walk out of your store and never come back, but tell 50 people.
    quote]

Unfortunately I think there is an awful lot of truth to that. We Americans tend to make a lot of noise when we feel we've been wronged but tend to be very quick to forget. When dealing with retailers we could probably learn a little from our neighbors to the north.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 12-10-2007, 06:40 PM.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Why would HD stop displaying the Ridgid line?

Comment

Simply put, floor space generates money.

How many sales of stationary equipment (table saws, jointers, bandsaws etc.) are generated each month? What is their profit contribution? Can that same floor space be used for many more smaller items that produce more sales per month and generate more profit for the store?

It's a math game by the bean counters both at corporate and in the local store.

Comment

I recently talked to a manager at a local HD. He said the reason why a lot of the tools and machines are no longer on display is because HD receives frequent law suits from customers who hurt themselves by handling the equipment. He said people always find a way to break things. Though I can see the logic in what he said, I think it is not the entire truth. I think the decision to stop displaying large machinery had to do with the bottom line. I told the manager that I would never buy a TS without seeing the machine in person and examine it. He said HD has no plan to return to the old days, but if there are enough complains, corporate HD might change its way of doing things. At the very least, HD isn't getting my business. Last I heard, HD's stock hasn't been doing all that well. Funny things is, the Lowe a few blocks a way has a lot more large machinery on display.

Comment

I don't buy that for a second though. Lowes has their machines out and apparently they're not being sued into oblivion. Maybe that's because Lowes actually has people in the tool department and HD rarely does.

Hey Ridgid, why not make a deal with Lowes? They're apparently not making people as disgusted as HD is.

Comment

"Ridgid should pull their tools out of HD, they just don't care anyhow, and put them somewhere that might actually help them sell something."

Agreed, HD has not (to my way of thinking) lived up to their end of the bargain to market RIDGID tools. How could I know this? I don't, it is a logical assumption on my part.

What manufacturer would sign up for an exclusive marketing deal with a retailer where their product is not even displayed on the floor? Even when there were floor displays they were not kept up. Does this all fall on HD, or is the RIDGID area Rep to blame also? Since there are comments from many of use across the country repeating the same deplorable condition of the displays it would appear that this problem is of epidemic proportions.

Maybe that's why they just decided to take the displays down altogether. I wonder which casts a dimmer light on your product, a poorly maintained display or none at all? I'd say the former is less desirable.

This is not the fault of the sales people in any particular store, it goes back to the district managers and corporate marketing at HD.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

A pox on both their houses! HD for guaranteeing that they won't sell a lot of large machines and Ridgid for putting up with it.

The price of HD stock versus Lowe's demonstrates the pure folly of their decision. Ridgid has the best table saw going but HD is making it almost impossible to buy one. Is this good for either party?

I don't buy the Dollars per square foot arguement either. If I'm lured into the store to look at saws and like what I see I'll be back when I want something else. Give me a Gillette razor and I'll buy blades from you forever.

Blind Bill

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                  I recently went shopping for a new drill/driver.

The local HD's have removed all stationary tool displays (the area now contains magazine racks) and their portable power tools have very short chains or cords fastening them to an eye level shelf. This height is not conducive to getting a good feel for a tool (unless you are always working overhead). Their selection of Ridgid portable power tools was very small.
                  I can't speak for every Home Depot; just the ones I work at and am familiar with but I have not seen a store that have taken down their stationary display. To the stores that have I don't know what was doing through the regional/ district manager to mandate that. If that was ever the policy in my store I'd flat out refuse; it makes no business sense at all. Also regarding the chaining or cabling of the tools. Last month in my district they said it was acceptable to unchain everything and let the customer have unrestricted access to testing the feel of the tool. I think it was a great move and I have no idea why the old policy was implemented in the first place; it's a pain for the customer more likely than not the chain won't deter anyone determined.

Comment

I have a ton of HD's in my neck of the woods (I don't believe that there's a TS setup in the midtown manhattan HD... go figure). Here's what I think I've learned:

The Brooklyn HD opened up and was 24 hours. They put in their absolute A team. The men (and women) who worked there knew 1.) Their stuff, and 2.) enough to say "I don't know".

The halcyon days ended, the crack team moved on the the next store to be opened (I think) and the HD was staffed by people who would simply make up an answer if they didn't know. The 24 hour thing ended (everywhere, I think) shortly after.

I moved about 18 miles north. I've NINE! stores within 10 miles of me. They're ALL staffed by.... nincompoops. Except one.

That one is brand new, and directly next to a brand new Lowes (OK, I lied, there's a Dunkin' Donuts in between them). It has the benchtop Ridgid, the 3650, and a DeWalt set up. The Lowes has 5 or 6 TS's set up. The people at both of these stores are very well aware that they're in competition, and the quality of service has been maintained for two years, so far.

BTW, the Lowes is generally slightly less expensive.

Lesson: Go to a new HD, or one next to a Lowes.

Comment

I used to work at a Home Depot, and it is ( NOW ) usually the Manager's decision on what gets set up and what does not, and in many cases, the word comes from Atlanta on what to do. The previous post in 100% correct in saying find a HD close to a Lowes or Menards, and that strore will be shining like a new dime, and everything will be put out on display. Unfortunately customer service, in most respects, and knowledgable associates, have gone the way of dinosaur. I am not saying that there are not some associates who are good and who give a damn, they are just few and far between because they like me hate to see what HD has become over the last few years, and get fed up.
                      Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Comment

Assuming the decision-making structure is the same in Canada, what would you say would be the best approach for getting hold of the decision makers for a particular store? There's an HD not far from me and while the associates in the other departments are a bit hit-and-miss, the five staffers in Hardware are pretty good, actually (four guys, one woman) and actually have had careers in various aspects of cabinetmaking, woodworking and carpetry. The large tool display area that used to have a couple of dozen various assembled tools is now a storage area for boxes of those unassembled tools. So, a customer doesn't even have access to the expertise and knowledge of those associates. Sad, really. I imagine the associates find that a bit frustrating too at times.

Any advice who to talk to and how best to approach it to acheive results?

Comment

I'm not trying to defend HD, but my experience has been the opposite of several other folks'. Within 5 miles of my house I have 4 HD's and within 10 add at least 3 others. There are two Lowes near me, and I have horror stories about them but none about HD (backorders, problems returning defective tools, missed delivery dates, un-knowledgable sales folks, others...) . There is even one HD (the closest one to me) that has the 3650 set up (and complete) on display - or it was the last time I was there around Christmas.
                          YMMV of course, and FWIW I do live in the Atlanta area -- and we are fairly saturated with HD's here.
                          BTW, the one I call my "favorite" store is still mostly set up like HD used to be before they "updated" and re-layed-out their other stores. It's also the one that most of the contractors I know recommend.
                          My only complaint actually is that when you go to HD here (even my favorite one) is that you do have to ask for the person who is the local guru about XYZ -- you don't automatically get him or her unless you ask.

Comment

keep a watch on them in my area (dc) they all did away with displays. the disposal of these displays are a great bargin, i bought the 3650 for $250 the band saw for 125 etc goodbargains

Comment

When I bought my 3650 awhile back, I went to 3 HD's in my area. None had the displays. All they had were pictures. I am like others and wanted to actually see it. They could not explain why none were set up. I got home and called 8 more HD's before I found one that had the saw set up on the floor. And it was 28 miles away!
                              I agree that Ridgid should reconsider only selling thru HD. I think they lose a lot of possible sales.

Comment

Its a wrong move on HD part to be doing this. I wont buy a tool unless I can actually see it and feel for weight,and to compare workmanship.When I started looking for a TS I went to Sears(no Lowes or Ace here), and browsed their displays. I was going to buy a $179.00 Craftman model. Then I went to HD and saw the TS3650. I could compare how much more solid and stable it was and got hooked on it.The reason that made me expend 300+ more dollars that what originally planned was actually seeing the equipment and feeling it for thoughness and craftmansip. I have bough a lot of tools from my local HD and the day they start getting the displays off is the day that I will get my money elsewhere.

We should all as a forum start sending emails and letters to Ridgid headquarters and make them know what we think about this or maybe send then a copy of this thread.When they see a lot of potential and past buyers willing to stop buying from them if they continue this practice ,Im sure they will change their ways.

Comment

Working...
                                X