Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HD's TS

Originally posted by Raziel View Post
    We should all as a forum start sending emails and letters to Ridgid headquarters and make them know what we think about this or maybe send then a copy of this thread.When they see a lot of potential and past buyers willing to stop buying from them if they continue this practice ,Im sure they will change their ways.
    You can also do the survey on your HD receipt. I have proof that real people really read the comments. I got good service from one of the tool folks and wrote that on my survey. The next time that I was in there browsing he said thanks. I don't know if it will do any good as far as the displays; but at least someone in HD management would know it.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
      You can also do the survey on your HD receipt. I have proof that real people really read the comments. I got good service from one of the tool folks and wrote that on my survey. The next time that I was in there browsing he said thanks. I don't know if it will do any good as far as the displays; but at least someone in HD management would know it.
      Yes!! Do this, every comment is logged and they are both read through in the weekly department head meeting and then posted for all the associates to read. The store manager takes all these comments seriously (their bosses also read them) because the customer took the extra effort to log on to the site and voice his/her opinion whether it is good or bad. It also doesn't hurt my self esteem to get a mention in there once in a while for a job well done.

Comment

YES!!! By all means call the survey line and provide feedback to your local HD. The program is called the Voice of the Customer, VOC for short. Maintaining a good VOC number is HIGHLY important to the associates and the management team because if you don't hit your VOC targets then the profit sharing number go down. Also, if the store does not make sales plan, then there is no profit sharing. So, customer service and sales go hand in hand to assure jobs and bonuses.

In our Hardware Dept, we have over 10,000 SKU's, and we're considered a low volume store. Display areas are precious as well as overhead space. We try to utilize every sq ft we can. Right now, we don't have a TS on display because the Ridgid Rep refuses to assemble one (said he doesn't have time) and that we can hire the assembly contractor team to do it for a couple hundred bucks. Looks like I'm gonna have to learn to put the TS 3660 together myself. We do have a drill press, joiner, bandsaw and TS2400 on display.
        As to knowledgeable associates, be sure you get the person who works in hardware and not just a apron that is passing through. If the hardware apron doesn't seem to know their stuff, then ask that a ASM be summoned to answer your questions. If the associates balks on that, just go to the service desk and request the ASM to meet you there. Sometimes the squeaky wheel has to squeak a little louder to get the necessary lubricate
        sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

Originally posted by harley130 View Post
          In our Hardware Dept, we have over 10,000 SKU's, and we're considered a low volume store. Display areas are precious as well as overhead space. We try to utilize every sq ft we can. Right now, we don't have a TS on display because the Ridgid Rep refuses to assemble one (said he doesn't have time) and that we can hire the assembly contractor team to do it for a couple hundred bucks. Looks like I'm gonna have to learn to put the TS 3660 together myself. We do have a drill press, joiner, bandsaw and TS2400 on display.
          The RIDGID rep not wanting to assemble it sounds like the lack of a TS3650 display models is more RIDGIDs fault than yours. In most HDs I've been in the tool corral is really a remnant of the tool corral when there was a separate register there. The aisle are always much narrower than the rest of the store and there is just no place for displays of much of anything. Contrast this to Lowe's or Sears which has much more floor space devoted to stationary tools. But even in a newly constructed one by me, the tool aisle seems very narrow and there is no place for display models. It seems there are probably other places that can be robbed of floor space more easily than the tool corral without impacting customer experience (e.g., the hardware aisle probably doesn't need to be so wider than a tool aisle).

Comment

The last 3650 I saw at HD was used as a display stand for other tools. The orange stand was the only thing visible and after moving the other tools the top was covered with rust. I guess it's better not to display than to display a tool that hasn't been cared for.

Comment

Just a few thoughts to think about. The total number of posters on this forum AND on all the other WW forums (and many of the posters cross over from forum to forum) is miniscule compared to the total number of customers (and potential customers) that HD sees on a daily basis. Do you think that HD really cares what we say here and on other forums? HD has the exclusive for Ridgid tools (at least for the DIY market) and most certainly feels that the average DIYer will see an ad or commercial and not even think twice about buying a tool sight unseen. Remember, most consumers (and consumer DIYers)are basically idiots and have more disposable income than they know what to do with. I feel that Ridgid (with the help of HD) operates on the assumption that they will sell more under this business model than if they put their tools in Woodcraft or other WW specialty stores and have to compete with Delta, Powermatic, Jet, ShopFox, Griz, WoodTek or the other brands for that miniscule percentage of the total market that serious hobbiests make up.

In short, get real folks, Ridgid and HD target the idiot consumer DIYer and not the like of those that post here and on other fourms. And, they do a real good total volume of business in using this business model.

gator

Comment

You know, I get on here nearly every day to see what I might learn. I have to say that I have not had the "bad" experiences that some of you have had at Home Depot. I live in a rural area and the closest HD is 26 miles from me. I go there sometimes just to look around and mentally make my wish list of things I would like to have when I can afford it. The employees are constantly asking me if they can help me. I have no complaints about the display of tools at my HD. I just purchased the TS3660. Not one complaint! I have other Ridgid products...no complaints. I guess until I get treated like some of you claim to have been treated then I cant say anything negative about my visits to HD. I sure don't consider myself to be an "idiot" consumer. I am retired and live on a very strict budget. These so called "woodworking stores" may have all the top of the line tools but their prices are also sky high. I think a lot of the time in life if you go looking for a fight that is what you get. At my age I don't have time for that. I just want to enjoy the woodworking experience, which I have now for over 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by gator View Post
                  Just a few thoughts to think about. The total number of posters on this forum AND on all the other WW forums (and many of the posters cross over from forum to forum) is miniscule compared to the total number of customers (and potential customers) that HD sees on a daily basis. Do you think that HD really cares what we say here and on other forums? HD has the exclusive for Ridgid tools (at least for the DIY market) and most certainly feels that the average DIYer will see an ad or commercial and not even think twice about buying a tool sight unseen. Remember, most consumers (and consumer DIYers)are basically idiots and have more disposable income than they know what to do with. I feel that Ridgid (with the help of HD) operates on the assumption that they will sell more under this business model than if they put their tools in Woodcraft or other WW specialty stores and have to compete with Delta, Powermatic, Jet, ShopFox, Griz, WoodTek or the other brands for that miniscule percentage of the total market that serious hobbiests make up.

In short, get real folks, Ridgid and HD target the idiot consumer DIYer and not the like of those that post here and on other fourms. And, they do a real good total volume of business in using this business model.

gator
                  I think that the DIYer is less likely to buy a t$500 tool sight unseen than a contractor for example. The reason is that the contractor probably knows other people who have the same tool; and for them it won't really be sight unseen. For a DIYer, often the only place to see the tool is in the store. Lowes and Sears have display models. Sears may be a bad example, because they seem to be in perpetual trouble; but I don't think Lowes is. I don't expect the model to be put together as well as we would put it together, but I do like to see something before I buy it; especially something that is big, heavy, expensive, and hard to return [because it is big and heavy, and once you get it together good luck getting it back in the original packaging].

The average consumer isn't going to get the $500 TS anyway, they'll pick up the $99 or $249 Ryobi. (There is nothing particularly wrong with Ryobi tool in genreal, I like many of their tools, but for a TS there is no comparison between a RIDGID and a Ryobi).

Comment

OK, let's clear up a misconception here about HD & Ridgid.
                    As I understand it, the Ridgid name is licensed to One World Technology (OWT) for purposes of power tools. OWT thens contracts with Techtronics International (TTI) to produce the tools. If you will look at all of the warranty papers you have on Ridgid tools, they will reference OWT as the warranty provider.

OWT has signed an exclusive contract with HD to be the exclusive seller of OWT licensed tools (Ridgid, Ryobi & Milwaukee). In return for the exclusive right to sell the tools OWT produces, OWT gets 2284 worldwide sales outlets.

I don't think we'll ever see Ridgid tools sold by Woodcraft, Rockler or any other WW store or site. There are just too many other brands that they can make a better profit margin off of.

As to displays, our displays are in as good as or better condition that Lowes. The trouble with displays is you can't keep the parts on them because of the guys who loose or break a small part and they come in and just steal the one off the display. Then the next guy comes in and sees the display has parts missing and starts bitching that the store doesn't maintain it's displays and how sorry it is. Remember there is not a vacuum pipeline between the HD and Ridgid parts dept. to send free parts for displays through.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

As to displays, our displays are in as good as or better condition that Lowes. The trouble with displays is you can't keep the parts on them because of the guys who loose or break a small part and they come in and just steal the one off the display. Then the next guy comes in and sees the display has parts missing and starts bitching that the store doesn't maintain it's displays and how sorry it is. Remember there is not a vacuum pipeline between the HD and Ridgid parts dept. to send free parts for displays through.

Just my 2 cents worth.
                      Very good and TRUE point. I know every person that works for HD that's on this forum takes pride in their displays. We care about what we sell. I know this is not true on about 95% of HD's out there. The point about customer theft is also very true. I'll poll any HD employee out there, on your Oscillating spindle sander are there any of the rubber inserts left, how about the yellow tool keys? These get stolen all the time and RIDGID wants to charge us to replace them, so the mangers and RTV clerks won't let us order them only to be stolen again. It sucks to not have a 100% complete display but nothing I can do. At least I haven't given in on giving up my tool showroom for stationary tools. There has been pressure but I've given it a good argument every time so we've kept it as is.

Comment

OK, let's clear up a misconception here about HD & Ridgid.

OWT has signed an exclusive contract with HD to be the exclusive seller of OWT licensed tools (Ridgid, Ryobi & Milwaukee).

(Almost true, click on the 'Where To Buy' tab at the top of the page for industrial distributors who sell Ridgid power tools.)

In return for the exclusive right to sell the tools OWT produces, OWT gets 2284 worldwide sales outlets.
                        I don't think we'll ever see Ridgid tools sold by Woodcraft, Rockler or any other WW store or site. There are just too many other brands that they can make a better profit margin off of.

(And I think that this falls under the business plan I described in my post above.)

(I can't argue this one, I'm sure it's true, even though sad.)

Just my 2 cents worth.
                        gator

Comment

The local Lowes has Delta and other TS on display. The TS disappeared for a month then returned - maybe cutting wood out back. The current display of power tools is along a main asile. Only downside on the TS display is that the fence is only partially assembled. Easier to find the tools than at HD.

Comment

All I can say is: 'Home Depot in Marble Falls Texas, baby'
                            sales folks very helpful and friendly, tool display recently enlarged, lumber even seems to be in better shape than used to be..... I'm a happy guy!
                            only down side: the lumber carts don't have brakes, so unloading stuff off of them into the truck in a hilly parking lot makes for a wild ride
                            Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
                              All I can say is: 'Home Depot in Marble Falls Texas, baby'
                              sales folks very helpful and friendly, tool display recently enlarged, lumber even seems to be in better shape than used to be..... I'm a happy guy!
                              only down side: the lumber carts don't have brakes, so unloading stuff off of them into the truck in a hilly parking lot makes for a wild ride
                              Texas has hills???

The only saws on display at my HD are the small portable models. At lowes they have a several contractor ones on display but they are so closely packed with the other stationary tools its hard to get a good look at them. Personally I never really liked lowes. When comapring the HD and Lowes in my area I get the impression Lowes is more upscale and not meant for those that really like to dig in and get there hands dirty. I know thats way off base but like I said, when going into either of the two thats what it seems like.

Comment

We just learned today that HD is planning to put more aprons on the floor in an effort to better assist the customers. In our region, they are doing away with the local HR manager's slot and consolidating them into a regional staff at half the current level. The salary/headcount will still belong to the local store and enable us to hire 3 to 4 associates for what the HR Manager was being paid.
                                Now only if they would give the Tool Crib some of the space that some of the other areas are wasting we would be a happy camper and could set up a nice stationary tool display.

On another note, don't forget that the Ridgid Miter Saw Carts are on sale right now for $99.00. If you're even remotely thinking of buying one, now is the time to pull the trigger and tell yourself "Happy Fathers Day". We had 13 on hand this morning and now have seven, so they're going fast. If you snooze you loose, because the restock might not make it to your store in time for the sale price.

Comment

Working...
                                X