X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD's TS

Went to HD to kick the tires on the TS-3650. They had three in banged up boxes under other saw boxes and no saw set up. When I tryed to talk to the guy about it, he stated, "all these saws are about the same, I should know because I also work in a cabnet shop". I told him I didn't like the idea of buying "sight unseen". And he said it was too much work for them to set up a saw for display. This whole trip to HD just reenforced my thinking in why I hate going to HD. I only go there when I have too. I sure was looking foreward to taking a saw home, but not from there. The next closest HD is a couple hrs drive. I think the doode should work for Sears too.

Re: HD's TS

Go back and get the manager. Tell them you want to see that all parts are there and in good shape. If that sales associate is present just say you don't want him involved with the transaction. You don't have to put up with A-Holes at HD or anywhere.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

this also reinforces me in saying that ridgid needs to include other major places to buy ridgid wood working tools such as ace or true value just to name to name a few
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

When HD stopped putting out assembled Ridgid power tools like tablesaws and jointers, I think they made a big mistake. The Ridgid line provides excellent choices in their price range. If people can't actually see and handle them, they are less likely to buy. It's one of those stupid corporate decisions that don't make any sense to normal people.
        Joe Spear

Comment

I recently went shopping for a new drill/driver.

The local Lowes have Table saws, Jointers, bandsaws etc all displayed in the Tool Dept. They also have their portable power tools on steel cables long enough to be handled to get an idea of their heft and balance.

The local HD's have removed all stationary tool displays (the area now contains magazine racks) and their portable power tools have very short chains or cords fastening them to an eye level shelf. This height is not conducive to getting a good feel for a tool (unless you are always working overhead). Their selection of Ridgid portable power tools was very small.

Guess who is getting my business now (hint: they don't carry Ridgid).

Comment

I just came back from our local HD, and they do have many of the tools setup...likely because the Lowes up the street has a good display. Unfortunately, the handle on the 3650 display was snapped.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
              .......... Unfortunately, the handle on the 3650 display was snapped.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Pretty much I've written off HD as a place to buy tools, simply because they don't display them and every experience I've had where I needed something, they've been slow and rude and obnoxious. I refuse to buy any tool sight-unseen, I told the manager of the local HD that and he just shrugged his shoulders. I wonder how much business they're losing because of this.

Ridgid should pull their tools out of HD, they just don't care anyhow, and put them somewhere that might actually help them sell something.

Comment

Suggestion: Look in the Yellow Pages for a good size city near you under Woodworking Machinery and also Industrial Supplies. Then go pay a few such places a visit. Places that don't try to sell some of everything normally do far better in what they do sell and their staff is far better than people working in big box dumps. Home Depot is turning into another Walmart mess.

Comment

Guess I'm relatively lucky. I've got two HDs within a 5-mile radius. One borders on one of the wealthier Chicagoland suburbs; they have most tools displayed, and their staff acts like they're performing in HD TV commercials - every one I've dealt with has been very helpful and knowledgeable. Went there to check out the TS2400 during the Black Friday sale, as they had it on display. They were out of stock, but told me that the other HD in the area had 13 of them; went to that one (not the most attentive or helpful staff) to buy the saw.

I do all my HD shopping at the first one, even though it's a couple of miles further away - it's worth it just for the staff's collective attitude. I only use the second HD when absolutely necessary.

Comment

Heres my update. I drove accross state line to Yuma AZ HD. The worker was nice and helpfull, but no TS display. The man stated he came back from vacation and there whole display was taken down to a bunch of pic's. to look at. He said we should complain to the corprot managment.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeC View Post
                        Guess I'm relatively lucky. I've got two HDs within a 5-mile radius. One borders on one of the wealthier Chicagoland suburbs; they have most tools displayed, and their staff acts like they're performing in HD TV commercials - every one I've dealt with has been very helpful and knowledgeable. Went there to check out the TS2400 during the Black Friday sale, as they had it on display. They were out of stock, but told me that the other HD in the area had 13 of them; went to that one (not the most attentive or helpful staff) to buy the saw.

I do all my HD shopping at the first one, even though it's a couple of miles further away - it's worth it just for the staff's collective attitude. I only use the second HD when absolutely necessary.

I guess I'm lucky as well since the 3 closest HD's all have their tools setup and also have them all on display or at least most of them...and all 3 are 5 miles or less from me...

here's a tip for those looking to avoid dealing with the sometimes or all the time inept and/or unknowledgable "sales associate", I try to do all or most of my research online before even walking into a store that way I can browse at my leisurely and be more informed than the so called "experts" trying to sell me something...just my $0.02
                        How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Comment

Originally posted by ernurse View Post
                          Went to HD to kick the tires on the TS-3650. They had three in banged up boxes under other saw boxes and no saw set up. When I tryed to talk to the guy about it, he stated, "all these saws are about the same, I should know because I also work in a cabnet shop". I told him I didn't like the idea of buying "sight unseen". And he said it was too much work for them to set up a saw for display. This whole trip to HD just reenforced my thinking in why I hate going to HD. I only go there when I have too. I sure was looking foreward to taking a saw home, but not from there. The next closest HD is a couple hrs drive. I think the doode should work for Sears too.
                          Wow....you must live on Mt. Whitney. I didn't think there was anyplace in CA that was 2 hrs from a HD.
                          Seriously, it's a bummer with no displays. All the HD's in this part of NYS have very extensive displays of Ridgid and other brands. I couldn't imagine choosing a woman or a tool without seeing them all assembled or getting my hands on either.
                          While the staff isn't the caliber it was in the "good old days" I believe it is improving.

Comment

I couldn't help but add this quote from the president of Home Depot Canada. I wonder whether there is any truth to the generalization?
                            "An American is likely to "scream at you, but then come back the next day. . . A Canadian customer doesn't scream - they just quietly walk out of your store and never come back, but tell 50 people."
                            http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...r-service.html

That being said, my local home depot in Canada does seem to have a very good display for the Ridgid tools, however the Ridgid table saw is tucked away on it's own away from the other table saws.
                            Last edited by tpwade; 12-10-2007, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I have 2 HD's within 20 min drive and another under construction. One has no display, the other has the TS on display -no fence, no miter gage, table rusted and being used as a shelf for a router table display. The display was marked 25% off. Could be the store manager doesn't want to explain a TS write-off.

Comment

Working...
                              X