X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on face glue up

Hi, im gluing up a 48x96 inch long tabletop, triple laminate of 3/4 stock to make it a final 2.25 thick. Wood is Peruvian Walnut, its fairly lite, very little wild grain or knots. Weighs 3.5lbs bd ft. I've glued up two panels so far.
    Any recommendations on experience or readings of this type of glue up?

My plan is to paintbrush the glue on -two people, Titebond II. Clamp down the entire edge every foot and send about 3 or 4 calls across it. I have about 280lbs of sand and gravel bagged and I also have a train track piece that weight about 125lbs and a 55lb square weight to push down in middles are to make sure of contact.
    I have done all I can to make sure its flat across and not bowed. Im also passing it through a 50 inch drum sander before the glue up down to 120 grit.

Does anyone know what angle the calls should be at if I decide tio slightly taper them to the middle?

Thanks alot

Re: Thoughts on face glue up

If you have the open time I would glue both sides. Offset the angle when you put them together add some weight in the center and twist them to line them up. The twisting will set the two pieces together better and even out the glue bond, as you start twisting it will be easy to move, once you get them seated it will become very difficult to move them. If you find a few 2X4's I bet you will find they have enough of a warp to make perfect culls

Comment

Thanks for the twist idea.

I took the top layer to the inlayer before that I took it to a 48 inch 480volt 3 phase drum sander! It was a s big as a truck. 2 osscilating belts.
      I then took the bottom two layers there today to do the same thing.I want one of those machines!
      Im going to face glue with elmers since titebond sets too fast and also use some countersunk screws to suck it down.

Comment

[quote=Woodywoodchuck;108950]I want one of those machines!
        quote]

Damn, your check book is a heck of a lot bigger than mine!!!

Comment

[quote=biscuit;108977]
          Originally posted by Woodywoodchuck View Post
          I want one of those machines!
          quote]

Damn, your check book is a heck of a lot bigger than mine!!!

Umm maybe but I wont be getting one of those ever. Im a furniture builder so my paycheck is not too big

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
            If you have the open time I would glue both sides. Offset the angle when you put them together add some weight in the center and twist them to line them up. The twisting will set the two pieces together better and even out the glue bond, as you start twisting it will be easy to move, once you get them seated it will become very difficult to move them. If you find a few 2X4's I bet you will find they have enough of a warp to make perfect culls
            I got a spreader with teeth to push around glue and 2 mohair rollers. Im also going to use screws now to get it nice and tight.
            I finally have the legs and apron about 95% done. The inlay is done. It should be real sweet when done. Ill be sure to post pics. The wood is brown that even the glue ups hardly show on the legs.

Comment

Working...
            X