X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero clearance inserts?

Can anyone tell me before I buy why Lee Craft has one ZCI for $21.99 and then advertises another showing 2003-2004 for $14.99. And Peach Tree also shows one that's a 2003-2004 for $14.99? Is the older ones thinker or not as good than the 21.99? I want to buy the best one, but not sure if more expensive means better. Thanks

Re: Zero clearance inserts?

IIRC, Leecraft inserts are a tough phenolic material. The Peachtree inserts I have are a softer HDPE that's prone to warping and flexing. You might check Amazon for Leecraft deals. I'd be inclined to pass on any HDPE inserts unless seriously reinforced or supported properly.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
      IIRC, Leecraft inserts are a tough phenolic material. The Peachtree inserts I have are a softer HDPE that's prone to warping and flexing. You might check Amazon for Leecraft deals. I'd be inclined to pass on any HDPE inserts unless seriously reinforced or supported properly.
      I completley agree with this assessment. I too have both the LeeCraft ZCI and some of the ZCI's from Peachtree. Whilst the latter are good for sort of "throw-away" use, I wouldn't use them on a really wide dado, on a really important project, or as my standard-blade ZCI (e.g. the one you have installed 99% of the time).

The LeeCraft ones are solid, flat, and fit nice and snug, with adjustable side set-screws. It's worth the extra couple of dollars.

Comment

I have used both and Lee Craft is the best by far. The white plastice ones from Peach tree do not stay flat. I bought mine at Hartvilletools and if you say you are a member of wood net you get a 15% discount from the regular price.

Comment

Thank you guys. Then Lee Craft it is. I always find it's better to ask those who's been-there, done-that.
          Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by ernurse View Post
            Thank you guys. Then Lee Craft it is. I always find it's better to ask those who's been-there, done-that.
            Thanks again
            Recently I bought a Incra miter express to compliment my Incra 1000SE. the miter express would not sit flat on my TS top. I thought is was defective, warped or something. I found out it was my Peachtree ZCI. IT had a bulge that caused the miter express to rock. I replaced it with a LeeCraft and no problem.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with UHMW inserts from
              http://www.ttrackusa.com/zeroclearanceinserts.htm ?
              They are $15.

Comment

Originally posted by handyguy View Post
                Does anyone have experience with UHMW inserts from
                http://www.ttrackusa.com/zeroclearanceinserts.htm ?
                They are $15.
                If you notice, ttrackusa is a Peachtree website. Those are the Peachtree ZCI's which everyone says are a cut below Lee Craft ZCI's.

Comment

Do the 3612 inserts work in the 3650?

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by ba-doyn View Post
                    Do the 3612 inserts work in the 3650?

Michael
                    No they don't they are only about an 1/8" thick

Comment

Thanks. I was going to give a few to a friend.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                      X