Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't want to flog the dead horse but...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Don't want to flog the dead horse but...

Originally posted by AngryBeaver View Post
    x2...
    X3. Twice. Assembled two 3650s, didn't have a moment's trouble with either.

Comment

I just finished assembling mine in about 3 hours. The instructions were fine for me, the oder of assemblies could be improved.

The moter issue, from what I can see is simple. They do not want the motor anchored down, the weight of the motor plus spring should be enough to keep from slipping. If the belt is slipping then I would suggest that you have something binding or you are cutting material beyond the capacity of the saw. Either way, you may want to pay to have a service center take a look at it. With this kind of equipment it is far better to be a little shorter in the pocket than have shorter fingers or worse. I had a saw lock up once and it is a serious and potentially dangerous event. If you have doubts that the equipment is not perfect, there aren't any 'do overs'. Either get it fixed or replaced. Just a thought!

Comment

Just assembled a 3660 the other day, simple process, dad and I assembled and running in less than 2 hours.

Instructions are okay, you can look at the diagram and everything is straight foward. Even the lift system, just look at it, it can only go one way. If you have ever used a table saw before you can just look at it and know where 95% of the bolts go. If they are too big, or too short they probably dont fit.

Maybe someone could suggest they give torque values so a torque wrench could be used to prevent broken bolts.

Maybe they should come with an automatic feed to keep the operator at least 4 feet away from the moving blade and belt at all times.

Maybe they should just ship it assembled on a pallet and just add another 300 dollars the the price.

So many options. I read it somewhere here to this effect. Great thought.

NOTHING IS IDIOT PROOF! BECAUSE IDIOTS WILL ADAPT, ADJUST, OR JUST TRY HARDER TO SCREW UP!

Sorry i messed up that idea and wording but for safetys sake i hope that people who dont have the common sense or basic skills realize their limited abilities and dont hurt themselves with a power tools.

I wonder why hammer's don't come with instructions? Dont hit hand, etc...

If a person lacks the common sense to assemble a power saw I hope they sick to working with white glue, craftsticks, and a stapler! This may help them keep their fingers a little longer.

Now i'm really worried. I just realized some of these people drive, imagine a SUV going down the road 70 mph, with someone eating, talking on the phone, late for work, and worried about the assembly instructions to the a saw... An accident waiting to happen.

RIDGID makes good products, take your time, be careful, use common sense, and ask for help when you need it. Your projects will turn out fine and you wont get hurt.

Comment

I diidn't find this forum until long after I had assembled the saw. Likewise, I got ahead of myself and had to disassemble a couple of times but that's not Rigid's fault. My biggest complaint was the odd bolt and nut head sizes. Neither ASE or metric quite fit them without a little slop which sometimes allowed round-over when tightening. Maybe *that's* a built in torque wrench!?! LOL!
          Later,
          Chiz
          https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

[quote=ChongoBeast;125449]
            NOTHING IS IDIOT PROOF! BECAUSE IDIOTS WILL ADAPT, ADJUST, OR JUST TRY HARDER TO SCREW UP!

Sorry i messed up that idea and wording but for safetys sake i hope that people who dont have the common sense or basic skills realize their limited abilities and dont hurt themselves with a power tools.

I wonder why hammer's don't come with instructions? Dont hit hand, etc...

If a person lacks the common sense to assemble a power saw I hope they sick to working with white glue, craftsticks, and a stapler! This may help them keep their fingers a little longer.""""""

A Big + 1
            You mentioned just the right words --- common sense----. If you are dealing with this kind of equipment you should at least have a basic understanding of tools and assembly methods . You should read the assembly manual and watch the figures/pictures all the times that are necessary untill you understand what you are going to accomplish in each assembly step. If you cant do this simple steps and cant follow instructions or you dont have the common sense of not forcing a 1/2 socket in a 12 mm head , then you should look for an experienced person to do the assembly for you. Independently from the mistakes the manual could have, if theres common sense you can look for further info( like this website), look at the pictures, or simply find a reasonable way of putting up things without breaking or damaging them. I had no problem up to now putting up my TS 3660 . I am an A/P mechanic by trade and apply the same cautious assembly procedures that I use for my trade dealing with a lot of different specialized tools, to the assembly of my TS and up to now I have had no issues that cant be solved by analyzing or looking for help in the manual or forum. Some people cant just accept that they are doing something wrong and its always easier to blame others. The reason this thing comes dissasembled its because to have a dedicated team of factory people to assemble/inspect/QA this equipment will put the cost maybe in the thousand dollars range , because it would have to be assembled to a tuning level that satisfies the masses and avoid costly lawsuits in case something goes wrong. For me its been very entertaining to assemble my TS and a stress reliever. Once its rightly done , the accomplishment sense its just another reason to enjoy this machine.

Comment

It amazes me the dolts like the wacko and his daddy in Texas and the previous post who have to engage in some long-winded diatribe because some guy asked a question about a missing instruction in a poorly worded manual. I didn't have great problems with the assembly of the TS3650 but the part about attaching the motor was flawed. It specified NOT tightening the bolts initially but was missing the part about the eventual NEED to tighten the bolts. That's not the purchaser's fault; it's Rigid's and why these assembly forums are a good idea. So back off.

Comment

What would be an even better idea than the long assembly tips forum would be a Wiki with a FAQ. A forum, which is inherently linearly structured, is really the wrong medium for this kind of stuff which deserves much better organization.

Josh could even pre-populate it with the manual, so that intrepid members could fix an online clone of the manual.

Comment

Working...
                X