Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Drift #@?!*&#

Hi all,

I recently did a big-time cleaning of my BS1400....parts everywhere kind of thing. I cleaned everything with the utmost attention to detail, reassembled it, and went through the tuning procedure. Unfortunately, I have a WICKED blade drift that I cannot figure out. I can actually see the blade turn the moment stock hits it (before I even get past the teeth) and I can see it grinding against the blocks. The drift is always to the right as you are looking at the cut and it is about 15° off centerline. The guide blocks are set correctly with only the teeth exposed. The blade is a 3/8" (6TPI I think). It never behaved like this before and I am afraid I did some dastardly damage to the saw.

I thought I had accounted for everything but apparently not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Zeno
    “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Re: Blade Drift #@?!*&#

hummm not knowing much about band saws, are you sure the tention is set right?
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

It is almost always the blade when they drift like that, you may have damaged the blade when it was off the machine. The cause is that there is either more set to the pull side or the teeth are duller on the non pull side. Try a new blade especially if it is still the stock blade

Comment

It's hard to get that much drift on even a poorly tuned BS unless the blade is damaged. It doesn't take much to damage a BS blade.
        The tuning procedure in the ridgid manual is good. Go through it again and be sure not to miss any steps. Maybe you missed something when you tuned it.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I would double check the blade set up and adjustments and then try a different blade first, and my guess is you took out the set on one side, of the blade. blade set is very important on a bandsaw

the other thing is is the back bearing or thrust block adjusted correctly on both the top and bottom the side guide blocks should have clearance of about the thickness of a sheet of paper, and the set of the teeth should be in front of the side guide blocks, IF you have pushed the blade into the guide blocks it may very well be you took out the set of the blade, or one side,

SETTING UP A BANDSAW
          by
          LES SWIFT
          http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/i-bndsaw.htm
          a good basic guide

one more
          http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/FAQ/110124076.pdf
          Last edited by BHD; 12-12-2007, 09:57 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It was the blade.....you guys rock.

Thanks again,
            Zeno
            “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Working...
            X