Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squaring Long Wide Panels

Hi,

Does anyone have way to square a long wide panel? I have a couple of things coming up that require this technique. Both will be glue ups that will be too long and wide to fit in my 24" crosscut sled. One is a dining table top and the other is a 2" thick maple bench top.

Would cutting them before glue up be a nightmare? I could rough cut the glued top with a saw (jig/circular) and then use a router with a straight bit and a guide to finish it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

FSK

Re: Squaring Long Wide Panels

Anything too wide for the RAS gets done with a skil saw.
    I clamp a guide rail square to the edges and run the saw with a good blade.
    In most cases the cut is fine, if not use the router to clean up, don't forget a backer board on the router exit side to prevent tearout

Comment

What are the dimensions of the panel?
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
        What are the dimensions of the panel?
        30ish wide x 60-75 long.

Comment

I've managed to square panels about that size on my TS. The largest I've done is about 36" by 70". Ripping is actually easier than the crosscut. I built 2 sawhorses just for cutting large panels, I made them the same height as my TS's table. I use one horse to help for the infeed and the other for the outfeed.
          The only problem that I can see is that 2" thick maple on a long rip might bind some even being fed slowly, I am assuming that you dont have a 5hp TS.
          I'd try it on the TS, but that's just me.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
          X