Table dimension help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table dimension help

I am looking to build the coffee table shown below. I know that the top is 48" x 24" and it is 16" high.

I am trying to figure out the dimesions of the other peices. My best guesses are:

aprons/stretchers/slats: All appear to be the same width to me.. 1.5" ? maybe the aprons are 2"?

legs. im guessing are 2" square or 1.75" square.

bottom shelf about 5" off the ground?

what do you all think?

thanks for the help

Re: Table dimension help

Id say slats are good at 1.5 inch. You have to decide how many. You have width, subtract what you think the overhang is of the table say 1.5 inch on each side, then subtract legs, Id say they would look chunkier at 2.5 if your going for that look. 2 inch is pretty thin. Then what you have left take away 3 slats at 4.5 in total and divide that number by three and thats how much room in between slats. If you think thats good then maybe the 1.5 is enough or not etc.
    Apron is really your preference.In pic I agree its same width.

Comment

k47k,

For some reason, I cannot pull up the snapshot that you posted. It's showing a "PNG" file, whatever that is.

So, without being able to view the table in a larger size, I'll try to help by telling you what I do to figure the dimensions from a digital image.

I use Corel Draw, but this should work with any program that allows you to import an image and also set a scale.

1. Import your image (I do a simple cut and past thru the windows clip board, as its fast).

2. I draw a box to the known dimensions of the image closest to you. In this case, it would be the left end of the table and the dimensions of your box would be 24 w x 16 h.

3. Drag the image into the box, and manipulate the position of it so that the end of the table fits the box you've drawn.

4. From that, the foreground of the image should be fairly accurate to obtain the approximate dimensions. The objects furthest away will be somewhat less accurate, depending on the angle of perspective. To gain the particular dimension, I simply overlay a rectangle on top of the piece your after, so of like a trace.

Actually, once you have the overall dimensions of an object, using this import and size method, you can come pretty close to accurately dimension everything you see in the photo. You simple pick a side of the image, draw a box to fit that side and then position the image to fill it. The larger the detail the better though, as small thumbnail size images are too blurred around the edges of the object.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

thanks for the input guys.

Comment

It looks to me like the slats are thinner than the aprons/stretchers. maybe 1" thick for the aprons/stretch and 3/4" for the slats?

I had planned on doing M&T for the whole thing. i think biscuits would not provide enough strength especially on the bottom shelf slats where you would stack magazines etc. if the slats are less than 3/4" i think it would be tough to do M&T, i usually do 1/2" mortice on 3/4" stock becuase its the only bit i have. thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by k47k View Post
            It looks to me like the slats are thinner than the aprons/stretchers. maybe 1" thick for the aprons/stretch and 3/4" for the slats?

I had planned on doing M&T for the whole thing. i think biscuits would not provide enough strength especially on the bottom shelf slats where you would stack magazines etc. if the slats are less than 3/4" i think it would be tough to do M&T, i usually do 1/2" mortice on 3/4" stock becuase its the only bit i have. thoughts?
            Pocket screws from underside?

Comment

Working...
            X