X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub $500 Jointers

Going to get a 6" jointer but not sure which. Looking at the Craftsman Pro, Jet open & closed stand, Delta open stand, and Ridgid. For under $500 are these all solid machines? Any of them I should avoid? Also looking at a Delta Pro that currently has a mail in rebate to fit the budget. I am new to the jointer so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here are links to all the machines:

Craftsman: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rs+%26+Shapers

Jet Open Stand: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17101

Jet Closed Stand: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17102

Delta Open Stand: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18289

Delta Pro: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18268

Re: Sub $500 Jointers

I'd scratch the Delta JT360 open stand for the sheer sake that it has an open stand, smaller motor, and lighter duty fence than the others in the same price range....as in, it offers no advantage at even money.

The Jet open stand jointer shows as the same price as the close stand, so I'd eliminate that in favor of the enclosed version.

The Delta 37-275/37-195 is a really nice machine, but note that it's rack and pinion fence sticks out the back farther than most

I'd add the Rikon if it's still on sale, and Grizzly has at least one. I've always liked that Jet... they're all capable...go with whatever floats your boat...
    Last edited by hewood; 12-19-2007, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Well, I'm biased because I own one but I think the closed stand Jet has a definite advantage over the rest because of its one piece base. This jointer is one solid unit with very little if any vibration issues. I also think that the front mounted handwheel adjustment knobs are easier to use than the side mounted lever types. The free freight and $25 merchandise rebate gift card make it even more attractive.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have the Rigid and it does everything I need it to do. I'm just a weekend / week night sawdust maker in a 2 car garage....

Comment

I have the Craftsman (Orion made) model and am very happy with it. It performs perfectly and brings a slightly more powerful motor than others. I don't think there's a huge difference on most of these 6" jointers as it's a pretty simple tool and all do their job as intended. No significant advantage to buying anything more expensive than necessary.

Comment

Are there any smaller jointers that are worth the money?
            Jim

Comment

I own the Ridgid as well and am happy with it, then again I'm very happy with all the Ridgid tools I have, minus the BS, haven't bought one yet...
              How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Comment

I tried & tried to buy the Ridgid jointer, but my local orange box just didn't seem to want to sell me one.. oh well.

So I wound up getting the JET closed stand model and have been *thrilled* with it (sale, discounts, etc I think $325 out the Woodcraft door) . I put it on a good quality mobile base and even with that it is solid as can be. VERY little vibration. Solid, dead flat fence & tables. Firm, tight adjustments and a decent to very good quality finish - some woods I just start with 320 sanding before finishing.

I, too, would steer clear of the open stand models. This is one of those machine that really benefits from a solid, ultra-stable foundation.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to get the Jet if I pull the trigger but space is going to be an issue. I have a decent storeage area off the garage/workshop I could put it but dont want to fill that space.

I have looked into other options as well. There is a woodcraft franchise that has a shop you can become a member of about 45 minutes away. Not sure if it would be worth it to become a member and pay montly dues but I could buy blocks of time ($75 for 5 hours) and have access to any machine they have - and they have a lot. I would just need to use the jointer and they have an 8 inch.

I have 14 boards of cherry, all 8'-12' in length, approx 1" thick, and range in widths from 4"-14". The wood I normally get is already milled on three sides so once the cherry is done I probably wont use the jointer nearly as much (the wood was an awesome score - got it free from my neighbor). It may be worth it to just rent time at the woodworkers club and save up for an 8" model when I have more money and hopefully space. I have a planer so a 5 or 10 hour block could last me a long time.

Comment

I would like to own a joiner someday, if I had room for it and a real need as well. For what little woodworking I do, and I wish I could do allot, a dedicated joiner is not in the plan.
                    I have successfully used a router and a straight edge with good results. I see in Shopnotes Volume 16 Issue 96 a fixture to allow joining on the table saw. This interests me, seems a great way to maximize my existing saw, save space and money, and satisfy my limited needs.
                    Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevan Sweeney View Post
                      I would like to own a joiner someday, if I had room for it and a real need as well. For what little woodworking I do, and I wish I could do allot, a dedicated joiner is not in the plan.
                      I have successfully used a router and a straight edge with good results. I see in Shopnotes Volume 16 Issue 96 a fixture to allow joining on the table saw. This interests me, seems a great way to maximize my existing saw, save space and money, and satisfy my limited needs.
                      Steve.
                      I read an article once about using a table saw for jointing an edge. However it required at least a 3 hp motor so I have no idea how well that would work with a 1 or 1.5 hp motor. Another article I saw was to lay two boards next to each but very close on a sheet of plywood or mdf, you want them to be closer than the kerf of the saw blade. By running the saw blade between these two boards is supposed to create a good gluing edge on both edges at the same time.

Comment

I run a full kerf blade in my 1.5 hp powered 3650, thanks to the advise of others on this site.
                        The article in Shopnotes depends on a piece of plastic laminate, I am assuming Formica, to establish the amount of material to be removed. This must be around 1/32". Even with my limited knowledge and experience, I would expect the 3650 to handle that.
                        Steve.

Comment

Sorry, that's jointer with a "t"... age....

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
                            I read an article once about using a table saw for jointing an edge. However it required at least a 3 hp motor so I have no idea how well that would work with a 1 or 1.5 hp motor. Another article I saw was to lay two boards next to each but very close on a sheet of plywood or mdf, you want them to be closer than the kerf of the saw blade. By running the saw blade between these two boards is supposed to create a good gluing edge on both edges at the same time.
                            Edge jointing with a saw or a router can work well, but it requires that the would is reasonably flat, otherwise there's not a true perpendicular reference between the face and edge. One major advantage a jointer has it the ability flatten a face, then make an adjacent edge to the face.

Comment

You can use a table saw for edge joining. You just need a sled of some sort to carry the wood straight past the blade. However, that will not necessarily make that edge perpendicular to the rest of the board.

A jointer is the best way to flatten and surface a rough board. And it can do both the edges and the face.

Alternatives are: a planer sled; or a plunge router on a support sled. You can find articles on these approaches via an internet search.

Comment

Working...
                              X