Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saw blades, forrest VS CMT

hi

looking for some opinions on which blade is better, the forrest woodworker II or the cmt general blade? most of the research i have done indicates there is no real difference yet the forrest is considerably more expensive! what gives?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

I use Systimatic blades. I have a hard time beleiving that the Forest is worth twice the money as the cuts I get from my Systimatic is great. My "Glue Rip" blade ran @ $60.
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Have been reading some forum threads that indicated Forrest is having some QC issues---another question mark as to their cost justification.

Other good blade choices include Oldham Signature. I've also had good results with the higher grade (they have two grades) of DeWalt.
      Dave

Comment

Dave

Guess I should have made mention to the Oldham also. It is now my "back-up" blade. I've had it about three or so years. Best $45 blade on the market at the time for sure.
        Support Our Troops!
        www.mnpatriotguard.org
        www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I was ready to bite the bullet and buy a Forest WW2 blade but after putting out some feelers on some other forums and seeing the feedbacks. I am convince there are some other blades just as good if not better for lesser money. Seems like there are some problems with loose teeths on thier blades. The last thing I need is a carbide tooth sailing through the air.

Just my opinion........Scott

Comment

Keystone--yea--bought an old model of the Oldham, in Nov. 91--it was the dark brown, with painted scene---almost too pretty to use

Anyway,Scott---hey I'm learning too---I know I've found a big quality difference when you move from a typical HD blade, to a mid-priced in the $50-80 range---but taking that extra plunge for Forrest---I'll have to pay more attention at the next woodworking show---but only if they fix their other problems.
            Dave

Comment

I have a WW ll and Chopmaster 10" on the 2412 and 12" on the DeWalt CMS. I am VERY happy with them, great cuts. Also consider that you will be able to send them in for sharpening twice at no charge. That was one of the reasons that I went with the Forrest. The 10" has had some very hard useage and is still sharp.If I screwed up and had to replace either I would still go with the Forrest. That is my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Doc,

I have heard about the two free sharpening that comes with the ww2, but I have not seen it in writing in any of thier ads. The last time I was on thier web site it mentioned nothing about it. Also I was looking at one at a local WoodCrafter store and I never did see it being mentioned about the two free sharpening. If they would have advertised it, I probally would have bought it on the spot.

Scott

Comment

I was just looking at their mag' ad. They now give you $15 off of sharpening---not all at once, however 3-$5.00 coupons; one for each of the first three sharpenings ---BIG DEAL---barely covers the postage increase to send them in

Seriously---no question they had and may still have an excellent product---However, I have just read of too many people with out of round blades or crumby sharpening jobs----It's a good chance things many have changed at Forrest---witness this change in sharpening deals.

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

I'm on board (w/both feet) with Forrest.
                    I've had the WW2 for ~8-10 months, and am still impressed with the finished surface it leaves on all types of material - from maple to pine, including ply. No quality probs w/mine.

rodney j in tx

Comment

Working...
                    X