Benchtop jointer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchtop jointer?

If you only have room for a benchtop jointer, are these useful, or should you go with other methods?

I was looking at the Grizzly G0612 or the Delta JT160. The Delta has mixed reviews. I can't find any for the Grizzly.

Any advice?

Re: Benchtop jointer?

If a benchtop jointer will fulfill you needs than go for it. On the other hand, if you'll be wanting to joint many boards longer than a couple of feet then I think that you'll end up disappointed with one.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Re: Benchtop jointer?

a rule of thumb is the board should not be more than 2-3 times the lenght of the jointer
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Perhaps I'm over simplifying, but before I bought my Ridgid Jointer (which I really love), I used to do that task on my free-standing router table. You just shim the outfeed side of the fence to the the depth you're looking for. Total fence length on my split fence router table is 34 inches, which I think is comparable (actually it's longer) to most bench top router tables.

I use a 1/2" shank - 1=3/4" long Bosch straight bit (85242MC) straight bit which I purchased locally and it does a really nice job for a fraction of what a bench top jointer would cost. Rockler sells a six-piece, color coded shim pack for use with the their fence and it worked well for jointing stock.

CWS

Comment

• res057
          res057 commented
          Editing a comment
          I use the same thing on my shop built router table with those same Rockler shims. It works quite well for small stock. I just don't have the space in my shop for a real jointer. I've played thousands of rounds of "Workshop Tetrus" and still haven't come up with a solution.

Teach us more in this field. After reading on here, we can learn more in this topic.

Comment

Working...
        X