X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointing wood; What am I doing wrong?

Take a look at this piece of wood. What am I doing wrong? I am using the JP0610 jointer. I took several passes to emphasize what is happening. The wood is a piece of barn wood - as you can see from the unjointed side it was not that far off from straight.
    Attached Files

Re: Jointing wood; What am I doing wrong?

It looks like your out feed table is not level with the cutter head of the jointer. Infeed and outfeed tables should also be checked for parallel.

You can grab the manual here. Look on pages 30, 31 for adjustment info.

HTH
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I suspected that possibly the outfeed table was adjusted wrong or maybe it and the infeed table were not paralled. So I searched the forums and copied off some of the recommendations for adjustments and setup. (This is the original setup from the factory). Before I made any adjustments, I checked the alignment of the outfeed table with the cutter blades (using a new 4' level with machined faces) - it looked great. Then I checked the alignment of the outfeed to the infeed table with the same level - I looked for light between the level and the infeed table - what I saw was almost perfect alignment. So I didn't make any changes. I waxed the tables and fence and then proceeded to joint the piece of wood in the photos.

I suspect that my technique is wrong. Here is what I do: I set the jointer to take off 1/32". Then I start feeding in on the infeed table. I start pressing on the leading edge about 2" after it passes the cutter heads and continue holding the leading edge on the outfeed table thru the rest of the cut.

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Norm says to keep pressure on the trailing end not the leading edge.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

The board is following the curve that it is already on. If you want any chance of getting that jointed edge straight put the longer side of your curve on the outfeed side and begin jointing it from there. I cant agree with Norm om this one I keep my pressure on the infeed side. After a few passes you will want to flip the board end for end and put the short side on the outfeed before you start.

It is easier to do than explain, but you should be able to get something out of it. In the future it is easier to straighten the board with the cup side down and start with one side on the outfeed than it is to do what I think your doing. Starting with the cup side up you are just following the curve of the board.

I can draw some pics if its needed

Comment

Leading edege = outfeed
            trailing edege = infeed
            SSG, U.S. Army
            Retired
            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

OA wrote: " I cant agree with Norm om this one I keep my pressure on the infeed side. "

I keep pressure on the infeed side until I have enough of the board past the cutter then I shift to apply pressure to the outfeed side. This keeps the portion of the wood that I have jointed in contact with the outfeed table, since this is the portion of the board's edge I want to joint the remainder to.

Looking at the photos I wonder how you got so far off from a straight edge (assuming that the two long edges of the board were at some time roughly parallel). Only way I can think of is to be applying downward pressure just in front of the cutter, such that a board would tend to follow a curve as it passed over the cutter head.

There have been some informative threads on use of jointers in the past, do some searching and you should turn up at least two or three with some links to online videos showing you how to feed you wood through a jointer .
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Updated info.

I am back at it again this morning trying to figure out what could be wrong. It makes sense that since the knives are aligned with the outfeed table that I should keep the pressure on the board on the outfeed table as soon as it clears the cutter. But from the pictures you can see what happens. Reversing the board feed direction is how the extreme "bowing" occurred. The leading edge just seems to get more cut off than the trailing edge.

I did some more measuring to see if the tables were parallel. I took the 4' level and set it on the outfeed table, then I used feeler gauges to check the infeed table - from what I am measuring it seems that the far left side of the infeed table (right next to the cutter) is 0.005" lower than the far right side or the infeed table. The level is an Empire True Blue and they guarantee it to be accurate to 0.0005", so I think my straight edge reference is adequate.

So now it looks like I need to proceed with the tips that Wbrooks details in his post on 8-16-07 on "Jointer alignment".

Any comments?

Comment

You need to keep pressure on the infeed table untill the cut is almost finished.
                  SSG, U.S. Army
                  Retired
                  K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

It looks to me that your out feed table is lower (or possibly higher) than the cutter head, knives. and after a few passes it is being tapered as it grow longer,

the out feed table needs to be a near perfect to the cutter knives as can be,

also see that the knives are parallel to the out feed table, that one end is not up higher.

CAUTION KNIVES ARE RAZOR SHARP,

rotate the head and see that all knives are the same height, If one is higher, you may be level with one or even two of the knives but the third will "snipe" the tail of the board as it leaves the in feed table, you run the material IN TO the cutter head, it should be turning towards you, and you push the lumber into the head, against the rotation of the cutter.

http://www.busybeetools.com/manuals/CT058.pdf
                    look at pages 12 and 15, or out feed tabel alignement with the head, and on 15 problems.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

See this thread if you haven't already. The video link I provide in my post should show you the proper technique.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...82&postcount=5

And read BHDs comments iin this thread too for even more tips.
                      http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...3482#post63482
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Success! I have spent most of the day cleaning, adjusting, measuring, etc. and I think I have gotten my JP0610 working satisfactorily. To make a long story shorter, the post by Wbrooks on 8-16-07 on "Jointer alignment" proved to be what worked for me.

In particular the part on checking and setting the gib screws on both infeed and outfeed tables and his last paragraph on how to set the outfeed table to the blades by using a piece of wood and listening for them to just scrape the wood were the most help.

From what I can tell the outfeed table was a few thousands higher than the blades. Also by adjusting the gibs so that each of the tables move up and down "very snuggly" I was able to reduce the 0.005" misalignment on the infeed table to between 0.001 and 0.002". (I also think cleaning and adding a little oil to the dovetail slides made the gib screw adjustment easier.)

See the attached pics for the same piece of wood now (after jointing one edge, planing the wide side, ripping the other edge on TS3650, then running the whole thig thru the thickness planer.)

Many thanks for all the helpful replies.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X