Need Adivce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Adivce

I am making a cutting board out of Maple. Plans call for 1-3/4 " stock cut to 1" strips.
    I made a test cut and got burn marks. I have TS3650 saw and am using a Freud combination 40 tooth blade. Do I have to use a different blade or live with burn marks?

Thanks for help

Re: Need Adivce

I would recommend a blade with at least 80 teeth on it if not more for cutting into maple. A 40 tooth blade is much too coarse for what your doing. Also, make sure the blade is carbide tipped as it makes a huge difference in cutting compared to just a simple steel blade.

Comment

Burn marks can be caused by any number of circumstances such as a misaligned blade, dull blade, improper feed rate or improper blade for the type of cut being made. While an 80T blade like Jayrocka1200 suggested will make very clean crosscuts they generally aren't very good at ripping. If all is well with the alignment of your saw then you might want to consider using a blade especially made for ripping. In this case, I'd suggest a glue line rip blade.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Maple is more prone to burning than some. Your TS alignment is critical too. Make sure the blade is clean and sharp. An 80T blade is much more likely to burn on thick maple than a 40T. If cleaning the blade and dialing the alignment in don't fix it, try a 24T ripping blade as BD suggests, and hit any saw marks with a handplane, scraper, jointer, or sandpaper, etc.

Comment

To help sand out burn marks wet the wood with mineral spirits, let it flash off slightly, then sand.

DAN

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I checked the blade and fence alinament and its OK. I cleaned the blade. Still getting burn marks. I ordered the Freud Glue Line Rip Blade from Rockler today. Free Shipping.

Comment

Working...
            X