X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !3" Thickness Planers

I am looking at a benchtop planer for my woodshop. I thought DeWalt had the only 3-blade cutterhead in the benchtop group, and was pleasantly surprised to find Ridgid's new R4330 planer.

Although it is quite new, I am looking for any reviews or comments that people (owners / users) would share about this model. The reviews I've read about the DeWalt model 735 were equally divided between favorable and unfavorable. This is not a good ratio for a $550-$600 tool.

It would be helpful to hear (both pro & con) from people who have worked with this new Ridgid planer.

Re: !3" Thickness Planers

I recall about two different threads on www.sawmillcreek.org in the Genereal WW/ Power Tool forum about it. Everyone said that they were very nice machines. Head on over there and take a look.

Comment

The vast majority of the comments I read from owners of the DW735 are very favorable about the planer itself. The negs tend to be about blade life and cost of blades. With that said...I don't consider a BT portable planer to be a lifetime tool, so > $500 for a portable planer is a lot of dough IMO. Once I get much > $500, I'm leaning towards a stationary planer...a "lifetime" tool.

Duzzat help narrow the field?

Comment

Well, I bought the R4330 Ridgid and I really like it. It'll last me many moons.

Comment

Generally the few comments that I have read on the Ridgid R4330 have been positive, but considering that it's quite new, I suspect that you'll not find any great amount of experience with it. Most negative comments were that lack of availability with the blades, but I believe that has since been resolved.

There is however a great deal of experience with the older TP1300 and I believe you will find the majority of comments and reviews to be very positive. The two models have similar design and build qualities with the new R4330 cutter head, head lift mechanism, and the chip chute being the main improvements over the previous model. The new 3-blade cutter head also has a slight RPM advantage, and replacement blades are priced the same as the older 2-blade package. ($29.97 for the 3-blade pack).

When comparing other brand models, you might want to take into consideration not only the price of the R4330, but also Ridgid's 90-day satisfaction guarantee, it's 3-year warranty, and with registration of the product, you get a "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" for as long as you own the tool. The LLSA covers any service including the motor, drive mechanism, etc. About the only out-of-pocket expense you should ever have is replacement blades (which are double edged) and possible transportation to your nearest service center, should it ever need it.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I bought my R4330 a couple of days ago and am very happy with it. Pine to figured red oak have all (so far) come out with a smooth as glass finish.

The only negative is the same one mentioned about the TP1300 and other planers. I have a snipe (reduced thickness) of .006" for the first 2 inches and last 2 inches of a board. (The .006" is pretty consistent - checked with a Oneway Gauge.) Basically it cuts too deep if only one feed roller is in contact with the wood instead of two. There is lots of advice on dealing with snipe on these forums - I prefer using longer boards or leading/trailing scrap boards.

Bottom line, I am very impressed, and when I think about the price, I'm downright grinning!
            - Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mgf View Post
              I bought my R4330 a couple of days ago and am very happy with it. Pine to figured red oak have all (so far) come out with a smooth as glass finish.

The only negative is the same one mentioned about the TP1300 and other planers. I have a snipe (reduced thickness) of .006" for the first 2 inches and last 2 inches of a board. (The .006" is pretty consistent - checked with a Oneway Gauge.) Basically it cuts too deep if only one feed roller is in contact with the wood instead of two. There is lots of advice on dealing with snipe on these forums - I prefer using longer boards or leading/trailing scrap boards.

Bottom line, I am very impressed, and when I think about the price, I'm downright grinning!

Try feeding the stock at an angle instead of straight, meaning start at a corner. This will limit the amount of snipe. Also adjust the infeed and outfeed tables so they're a little bit higher on the outer edges than the inner edge where the main table is.
              If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

The new Craftsman with the built-in digital readout also has three blades. In fact, it was tied in the recent FWW evaluation as best benchtop planer with the DeWalt 735. I got one recently and am very pleased with it. It has a built-in blower to evacuate the chips, also, just like the DeWalt., Since it already has table extensions, and you have to buy them extra with the DeWalt, the price comes out about the same.
                Joe Spear

Comment

You may want to see if any used TP1300's are for sale.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Just thought I would give my 2 cents on the R4330. I just got it 2 weeks ago and have already planed about 120 bf of rough cut red oak. I must say the results were better than I expected. I too experienced the 0.06" snipe, but was able to reduce it by diagonally feeding the board (though this would not work with boards 10" or more width).

This red oak had lots of beautiful knots and the planer ate right threw them. One of the boards I planed was slightly warped, the planer did great on that (thouth in retrospec, next time, I will likely rip it half and plane both sections by themselves, glue back together and finish plane after dried).

There are a lot of features on this planer that I didn't use yet: Repeat-A-Cut and Ind-I-Cut (though, that's just my ignorance of how to use them, I'll read the manual this weekend and figure them out ).

This tools is well built and seems like it will maintain accurate cuts over time (for this type of planer). The fold out tables were level and held the very heavy pieces (and very long) of red oak that I planed. The adjustment is very precise and repeating cuts is very easy. I haven't hooked it up to the central vaccuum yet, so I'm hoping the design on the vaccuum port is good (I'm curious to see how much of the chips and dust don't get taken away from the tool once the vaccuum is hooked up.

I tell you though, for the price, I don't see how you can beat this "portable" planer, between the performance, features, and lifetime service warranty; you would be hard pressed to find another.

Comment

I hooked the dust collector up to my 5 Gallon ShopVac, and it works pretty well, but clogged a couple of times down at the one inch level. Perhaps a more powerful vac would do a better job than mine.

The planer does blast back from infeed table many chips. I rig up a backstop with newpaper to catch it all. Workable solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X