No announcement yet.

How many recieved arbor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That leaves me to wonder about the saw sitting at HD. How will ridgid take take of them?
    Andy B.

Comment

Andy----just from indications so far, they won't do anything until the new owner finds a problem with his/her dados and asks about it here and hopefully finds out.
      Dave

Comment

Replacing the arbor is not a big deal. I've put a breif description of the steps in the LONG thread started by Sawdust Steve. Check it out, if you have any questions, just ask!

Comment

Changed mine tonight. When I talked to c.s. they recommended taking to repair shop. I'm in Maine way up north closest one 3-4 hours south of me one way.Plus have folding outfeed table bolted to back and router table on rt. side extension and it's all down in basement shop. I said to lady who was very pleasent, if you pay for my time, mileage,and such maybe. So guess what she said? The arbor with new nut you need is on it's way to your residence and no problem having you or someone you know change it. Nothing about warranty problem. I guess if you go at it and trash things to get it out they could choose not to cover damage but it is simple change out.
          On mine removed belt and motor assy. to make more room to get behind(this was reverse of when I assembled saw). Next loosen allen set screw on pully and slide off arbor, also remove key from shaft slot. Then remove E-clip(like snap ring) which holds shaft from sliding out of bearing.
          Angled snapring pliers worked for me. Tap end of shaft with something soft.(I used small rubber mallet) but hammer and block of wood should work just don;t want to damage shaft.
          Mine tapped out fairly easy. Make shure bearings stay seated in casting. Started new shaft in bearing then gently tapped it in. My clip was fine so reused it. (if in doubt take to hardware and get a new one as this holds shaft in place, cheap insurance) Reinstall key and pully,motor assy, and belt. Make shure belt is lined up then tighten allen set screw on arbor pully. and should be good to go. [img]smile.gif[/img]
          It sounds like alot but really is striaght forward once you start. Took me 30-45 minutes to do. I've done alot of mechanic work and maybe have somemore special type hand tools but basics will work fine.
          If you look at the shaft when you get it you will see two machined surfaces where bearings ride, a grove for snapring and keyway slot on pulley side making it all clear how it's installed. Hope this helps, Rick.

Comment

As I posted earlier, I spoke to Scott in tech services and he said that Ridgid considers this an "upgrade" and changing the shaft myself would not void the warranty. Who should you believe?

Comment

I specifically asked the warrantee question of customer service and got a satisfactory answer. Basically, the warrantee is not voided by this upgrade, although any damage caused during the installation of the part is not covered. Totally reasonable.

chuck

Comment

Yeah---that's only fair on the warranty, but "an up grade"????? Talk about double speek. You're up grading your saw to what it should have been in the first place.
                Dave

Comment

E-mailed Clinkscales on 1-5-05. Received arbor today.

Comment

I guess I just need to call customer service to get my arbor. My "friends" in high places at OWT/RIDGID do not return my calls these days.
                    There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

I called CS regarding the arbor and got it three days later. I installed it in much the same manner as murphyr though my arbor required a bit more "persuasion" to get out and the saw-side bearing came along with it. I used the hammer-with-block-of-wood approach. I managed to get the bearing off using a vise and some fancy plier work but it came off. Then had to deal with the pulley-side bearing. I clamped the pulley to the housing and knocked the new arbor into place. Total of 30-45 mins. Not too bad. Everything measured true after re-assembly. I agree with the other postings - have patience and be methodical and you'll be successful.

Thanks everyone for the input and tips.

Comment

Emailed Ridgid serial number and asked if I could get a new arbor on Saturday and received my new arbor today.

Comment

I called in last Friday. Hadn't received the arbor as of today, so I called back. Mine was supposedly sent via U.S. Postal Service, not UPS, hence the delay. I was told by a very helpful Sabrina to contact them within a few days if I hadn't seen mine yet. Here's hoping it's in today or tomorrow's mail.
                          Richard

Comment

I talked to Larry at RIDGID a couple of days ago, and he said they still should have some left, and they would get one out to me by UPS to my office. I hope to have it in a few days or less if they did what they said.

Larry said they were a bit surprised at the number of requests. They were anticipating a handful, but he said that they have already sent out between 30 and 40.

Of course, RIDGID recommends taking the thing apart and sending the basic saw, without rails, stand and extensions to an authorized center. I'm going to get the darn thing in, then analyze my dado needs. I just bought the 985 Porter cable router multi-base kit, and I love it! Gonna also buy the router table extension from Mule Cab, and should have a pretty good setup from some of the reviews I've read here.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Threefinger, thanks for the email input; I'll let you know if I need some assistance when (and if) I go ahead with the arbor change.

[ 01-13-2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Sawdust Steve ]
                            There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

Received my arbor on Friday, January 14. I had ordered the week prior and it was sent U.S. Postal. So, they at least came through with the part.
                              Richard

Comment

On of Feb. 2 ('05), they're saying delivery is taking 5 - 8 biz days.

Do not own snap ring pliers. How essential are they for the install, and hasn't anybody taken and posted any pictures of the job?

Comment

Working...
                                X