Scalloped edge with jointer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalloped edge with jointer

The last few times I've run stock through my jointer the edges have been scalloped (little tiny ridges). Is it time to change the blades or am I going too fast? It's a Ridgid jointer that I've had for about 2 years. I've used it to primarily joint edges, very rarily have I used it to plane the surface of a board.

Re: Scalloped edge with jointer

This can happen if one of the knives is higher than the others. You might want to check that first.

Comment

running the board through to fast can do it to,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Check the grain direction in your stock. If you feed the stock against the grain it could cause tear out.
        If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I don't get tear out, I get small little ridges. Sometimes the ridges are not visible until I run some sand paper over the edge. Is that to be expected or should I get the knives sharpened?

Comment

This may be incorrect but my opinion is the jointer as well as the planner rotates the blades in a circular motion. The cuts made are also in the circular motion which can cause a scalloped appearence. This may then be caused by the rate you feed the stock. Again this is my opinion. Since you notice it more when you sand the stock.

Can you move the fence closer to the center of the jointer and use a different section of the blades, since you mentioned you mostly joint edges not faceing.

I have an older jointer and have not had to sharpen nor replace my blades yet. By older I mean mid 80's. I mostly edge joint also.
            If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Working...
            X