X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buddy

I just finished putting my Ridgid TS3650 together and the only problem I have is determining how to set the drive belt tension. I tried the way in the manual (which is not very good) and talked to support. The person I talked to in support said to run the saw blade to half height and pull the motor mount back until the belt is tight. I did this and the belt did not come off when the blade is mid or above but when I lowered it to cut a 1/4 inch piece of plywood the belt is so loose the belt came off. I checked the belt at half height and it is tight but when I lower it it comes off. There must be a real way to adjust the motor positioning. I don't want to get it too tight and ruin some bearings. It is fairly tight when the blede is all the way down but as it is raised it becomes very loose and as you go up more it tightens up.
    Please help
    Buddy

Re: Buddy

Basically when the blade is at the bottom and the top, you should be able to pinch the belt in the middle and there should be some tension. You'll need to adjust the motor mount in a way so there is always tension on the spring hinge.

Comment

First, without the belt on, make sure that you can rotate the motor up and down the full length of the curved slot. If it hangs up partway down, that is your problem. Clean up any burrs or obstructions that limit that movement. If that cannot be done easily, return the saw.
      Assuming that the first step went well, run the blade all the way up. Pull the motor back so that you only have about 1/4" play before the spring in the motor mount plate bottoms out (fully compressed). The spring is designed so as not to overtension the belt even when almost fully compressed. Tighten the slide bolts. You do not want the motor mount bolts to bottom out when the blade is all the way raised so that there is no movement. That can cause overtension on the bolt and bearings. As you lower the blade, the spring tension gets less, but that is compensated for by the weight of the motor.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I checked the pulley alignment and is was not adjusted in line. I then used your method on the belt adjustment and everything looks ok.
        Thanks very much for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X