X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sears vs Jet 14" Bandsaw

Bandsaw arrived yesterday - a week early! Once its assembled and running I will post back.

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
      Bandsaw arrived yesterday - a week early!....
      You've got to love that...

Once its assembled and running I will post back...
      Can't wait... Attachment
      Attached Files
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I have owned the Sears 22401 for over a year and have enjoyed it thoroughly. By coincidence, the first project I completed using it was a set of Adirondack chairs. I would like to advise you about one issue that I guarantee you will eventually encounter. The guide bearings on the blade will fail and seize up. You need to watch for this to avoid bigger problems. When this happens go to a sporting goods store or look on e-bay and buy a set of in line skate bearings. They cost about $20 for 16. These bearings are the same size and are of higher quality than the originals and will last longer. I would replace all 6 at the same time. It takes all of 10 minutes.

Just for your information, I bought a 3/4" by 0.025" thick 3 tpi Timberwolf resaw blade from Suffolk Machinery. I have been resawing 2 X 6 hard white oak I salvaged from an old barn. The lumber is beautiful. The saw works well considering it is only 1 hp, but you will need to make or buy a tall fence. The one that comes with the saw is next to worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by amcnerl View Post
          I have the 14" Pro Craftsman and wouldn't trade it for any other in it's price range. If you read the descriptions you'll see the Craftsman has an 8" re-saw capability. No other 14" saw does, that I'm aware of with out adding riser blocks. If you do go with the Craftsman I would recommend a new blade after you play around and get the feel of the machine. It comes with a 1/4" blade which is good for some scrolling and light resawing. I put a 1/2" on for resawing and it's a dream. Best of luck in your decision.. Keep us informed once you decide.
          The Rikon 14" model 10-325 BS has a 13" resaw capacity out of the box and does not use a riser block, but it's a couple hundred bucks more. Still, by the time you get done tweaking a $400 BS you will be close to the price of the 10-325 and still not have surpassed its resaw capacity or the other std features on this bandsaw.

Last edited by Bob D.; 01-16-2008, 10:05 PM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            The Rikon 14" model 10-325 BS has a 13" resaw capacity out of the box and does not use a riser block, but it's a couple hundred bucks more. Still, by the time you get done tweaking a $400 BS you will be close to the price of the 10-325 and still not have surpassed its resaw capacity or the other std features on this bandsaw.

Right after I posted that I thought I remembered reading about a saw that has a larger re-saw capability. Now that you mention it I do remember. Isn't this the 14" Ultimate saw they advertise? I did consider this when I bought but I was in a hurry and there are no Rikon dealers near me. Thanks for the reminder..
            If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Woodcraft sells the Rikon line.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I finsihed assembling the bandsaw but havent turned it on yet. Work has been so busy I havent had time to play around with it. Assembly was a lot easier than I expected, much more so than the TS 3650 thats for sure. Still need to fine tune and calibrate everything.

My inital impressions are very good. Everything seems well laid out and is a solid machine. Bear in mind this is my first bandsaw so I cant compare it to anything. And the last time I used one was in high school 15+ years ago.

Comment

I am very anxious to hear what you think. I am in the same boat as you. Not sure what to buy and am on a budget as well. Around here the rigid seems to be the cheapest but Sears is a nice looking saw for not that much more.

Comment

Originally posted by tidewalker View Post
                    I am very anxious to hear what you think. I am in the same boat as you. Not sure what to buy and am on a budget as well. Around here the rigid seems to be the cheapest but Sears is a nice looking saw for not that much more.
                    Originally I planned to get the Ridgid as I am one that likes to have everything the same brand (first got the ridgid table saw and then planer). But after reading so many reviews of 14" bandsaws the sears seemed to be the best value. The Jet closed stand was also high on my list but when I was able to get the sears for $422 plus tax during the craftsman club sale is was a no brainer. The rikon would have been nice as well but twice the price. Plus green is not my favorite color.

Its probably going to be a week or two before I get to give the saw a good workout, this weekend is all about preparing for my superbowl party (Giants fan), lots to cook. Hopefully today I can post some pics at least - the sears where I live had the saw on display but without the table, certainly gives it an incomplete look.

Comment

I FINALLY fired up the bandsaw today (craftsman pro 14"). Its much quieter than I expected. So far I am very impressed, cuts well and fine tuning went smoothly. Initailly I tried to cut some 4/4 cherry and the bandsaw didnt like that one bit. It cut into the piece about an inch and then wouldnt cut anymore (blade was still moving though). This was using the included blade and set for softer materials (it has two speeds). I then tried some 3/4" pine with no problems. Next was some 1/2" MDF and got through that like butter.

Soon I am going to be cutting some 4/4 cypress, was wondering what type of blade would be best for this? I dont know much about bandsaw blades yet other than I need to get something a little better than the one that came with the saw (from what I hear).

Comment

I FINALLY fired up the bandsaw today (craftsman pro 14"). Its much quieter than I expected. So far I am very impressed, cuts well and fine tuning went smoothly. Initailly I tried to cut some 4/4 cherry and the bandsaw didnt like that one bit. It cut into the piece about an inch and then wouldnt cut anymore (blade was still moving though). This was using the included blade and set for softer materials (it has two speeds). I then tried some 3/4" pine with no problems. Next was some 1/2" MDF and got through that like butter.

Soon I am going to be cutting some 4/4 cypress, was wondering what type of blade would be best for this? I dont know much about bandsaw blades yet other than I need to get something a little better than the one that came with the saw (from what I hear).
                        Call Suffolk Machinery, tell them what you've got and what you tend to cut, and they'll set you up.

Comment

Working...
                        X