BS tire coming off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS tire coming off

I have the BS1400 for over 1 yr now. No problems really. Until tonight. I was cutting tenons and the bottom tire (original) slipped off. Not completely but enough to go over the ridge of the wheel and cause the blade to ride on a bare wheel momentarily. I loosened the tension, took the blade off (1/2"), cleaned the tires with a small brush. Remounted, tensioned, tracked, and began again. Sure enough the darn thing came off again. What's goin on?
    It's been kinda cold here (upstate NY) but not extremely. I haven't used the saw for probably a week/week and a half now, and the tension was released during this time. Is there supposed to be glue that holds the tire on? Any thoughts would be great. I hope this isn't the start of something bad.
    Thanks
    Dan

DAN

Re: BS tire coming off

Those stock bandsaw tires are j-u-n-k. Mine started slipping off within 2 weeks of getting the darn thing. Once they start slipping I'm pretty sure there's no solution except to remove them and glue them, or replace them...

Do yourself a favor and put some urethane tires on. You can get 'em from Woodcraft, Rockler, or your other favorite woodworking supply place.

Plan on 30-40 minutes to install them, but you'll be glad you did.

Comment

Wood Junkie, is right-on with this. The original tires on these low-end saws, are not any good. A rubber tire should be glued and trued. Urathane tires don't need either. They fit much tighter and are manifactured with more consistancy in thickness. Most of the "load" is on the lower tire. It is driving the blade. The upper is just and idler. As long as it doesn't have any bumps or ripples that would cause tension variations and the potential for blade wobble, you can get by with replacing only the lower. That is what I did on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by LONGHAIR View Post
        Wood Junkie, is right-on with this. The original tires on these low-end saws, are not any good. A rubber tire should be glued and trued. Urathane tires don't need either. They fit much tighter and are manifactured with more consistancy in thickness. Most of the "load" is on the lower tire. It is driving the blade. The upper is just and idler. As long as it doesn't have any bumps or ripples that would cause tension variations and the potential for blade wobble, you can get by with replacing only the lower. That is what I did on mine.
        Interesting... I didn't know this about the load being mostly handled by the lower tire. Ironically, on my bandsaw it was the upper tire which went kerplunk, coming off the wheel and rubbing against the cabinet interior (creating a LOVELY smell!).
        I'll have to spend much more time calibrating the lower wheel, as I've focused most of my attention on the upper.

Comment

Seems to me only the leading half of the lower wheel is doing any more work than the rest. The only portion of the blade in tension above the pre-load is that from the point of contact with the material being cut and the lower wheel (in this case) since it is the driving wheel.

If the upper wheel was the driven wheel and the blade direction of travel and all other parameters remain the same then the entire lower wheel and the first half of the upper wheel would be in tension (above the pre-load that is) from the cutting action.

Can you buy tires singularly? Why change only one...because it's less work or less expensive? What is the difference in price between one and two tires? I think I would put both tires on and set it up once. To have to come back and install a second tire and then set up the BS from scratch again would be a waste of time. AND, it would be difficult to see what you are doing with egg on your face for cutting corners and not doing a thorough job to begin with.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
          X