Drill Press Saga....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press Saga....

So I need to get a drill press for my growing wood shop. My dad got me a gift card for a bunch of money twards one. He asked the person at the store in if I can use this for anything HD sells (online or in store) and they said yes. Well, when I went to get my Jet 16.5" press on hd.com I realized you couldn't use gift cards. I called my store and they said yes you could but if want, come in and we'll just order it for you through the store. Then got there and they said...hahahahahaha, sorry....nevermind. What a headache!

So, my question is this: how is the Ridig full size drill press? I see that it only has a 1/2 HP motor on it where the Delta & Jet equals seem to all have at least a 3/4 HP one on them. If I'm forced to get the Rigid....how much am I really giving up? I will just use it for my hobby wood work stuff...nothing professional.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-Hef

Re: Drill Press Saga....

There are more important factors to consider when choosing a DP than just the differences in HP. I would look carefully at the differences, if any, in spindle travel, number of speed settings, RPM range and swing capacity. For most woodworking purposes these points are more important as it really doesn't take a lot of HP to drill into most woods.

If you really had you heart set on the Jet, why not have your dad return the Gift Card for a refund and gie you the cash instead?
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

He dosn't have the receipt and that is about all you can do with it on that front.

Does anyone have the Rigid drill press and have any thoughts on it? Like it, hate it, love it?

Comment

I have had the Rigid 14" DP for over 2 years, and use it constantly, and have had no major issues. The only problem is that when thru drilling 5/4 or similar hardwoods, with forstner bits, you have to pay attention to the speed (bogging down), or you will find yourself "burning" your way thru it, which is not good on the bits either. I am 90% happy with the DP. For the woodworker who does not plan on "sleeping" with their DP, or constantly bore hardwoods, it should be just fine. For me, this is one case where more power, and capacity would have been a benefit. Bottom line, it has never let me down.
        Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Comment

I've had mine for over a year now. Works for everything I want it to do. Make sure it's stable though, before you check alignment. If you are just using it for wood, it will work fine. If you are using it as a sanding drum, it will also work fine. I can't speak for drilling out large amounts of metal, but the few metal things I drilled through had no issues either. Only thing I wish was that it had a square workbase instead of the round (easier to mount a larger workbase to) but that was only minor. I'd get it again if I had the option.

Comment

Working...
          X