X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built-In Bookcase Project...

Well I finally finished my first project with the use of my 3650 table saw and 2900 router combo set. I forgot to take some before pictures, but basically picture a flat wall with the chocolate colored paint on both sides and above and below the window. The upper and lower crown and baseboard were also there before. Not sure if you can see, but there is 3 box mouldings on the outside of the bookcases and 2 boxes below the windows.

Thanks for looking...

Re: Built-In Bookcase Project...

Very nice. Looks great. Running the crown around the top gives them the built-in look and feel and ties them into the rest of the room. Looks similar to a project that Norm (New Yankee Workshop) did recently but he had a window seat in his which made it less formal I think. I like your layout better I think.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Nice work sawhorse. I like your location..If i wasn't from Ga i probably couldnt have read it correctly.!

Comment

very nice work indeed, been wanting to construct a built-in unit myself, and I agree this reminds me of the unit Norm built minus the bench, but, very nice nonetheless...
        How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Comment

Excellent work, Sawhorse! I am very interested in the plans for your built-in bookcase and the wall covering (wainscoting) that you used in the other room. Can you give out any of your secrets?

Thanks,
          Chris

Comment

Looks really good, Sawhorse! Well done. I love the level of trim work you did. It really makes everything look finished and professional. I, too, would like to get your secrets on the wainscoting if you can share. I've got a couple that wants that kind of treatment installed, to include a stairway. I don't know that I'm up to that task quite yet.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

The box moulding on the sides of the bookcases looks to be copied from the wainscotting in the other room...
              How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Comment

Solid, clean, professional looking work.

Comment

Thanks for the positive responses everyone!!! Can't wait to get started on my next project...which are more built-in wall units complete with cabinets and bookshelves to flank each side of a fireplace.

These bookshelves are sort of the result of multiple plans from built-in books (Stanley and B&D available at HD) and some designs from various magazines.

In restrospect, I should have taken pictures along the way, which I will do for the next project.

I can tell you that the base is a box made of 2x6 topped with 3/4 sandply. The insides of each case (next to window) is 3/4 and 1/2 sandply, but the outsides are just 3/4 sandply (height measuring mistake, so I had to improvise). The back is 1/4 oak ply. The face is 3/4 poplar. The shelves are 3/4 sandply with poplar strip rabbetted in. The shelves are attached with use of shelf standards.

As AngryBeaver stated, the box moulding is copied over from the other room, but it's not wainscotting. It's just box moulding with standard chair rail attached to the dry wall and painted. If I'm not mistaken wainscotting is actual paneling that is attached to the wall.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the construction, so please don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

Fine looking work!

How did you finish the sandply? Did you primer first then finish with (i'm guessing) a latex enamel? Brush, or roller, or spray? I've heard others on this forum complain about Home Depot's sandply, saying it splintered too easily....any problems with this?

I used MDF for my built-ins in the basement, and will be doing another set this year for the family room. MDF worked well, but is a bit heavy to move, plus makes lots of dust, so I'm considering other plywood options.

Comment

Just a light sanding, the one coat of Kilz water based primer, another light sanding with 220 grit and then paint with your paint of choice. The primer and paint was put on with a combination of roller for the wide open spaces and brush for the tighter spaces.

I didn't experience too much splintering and what splintering there was, got covered by chaulking or other trim pieces.

I'll be using some MDF for the next project maybe for the doors or some of the face. But I'll continue to use the sandply from HD for the cases.

Comment

Originally posted by sawhorse75 View Post
                        As AngryBeaver stated, the box moulding is copied over from the other room, but it's not wainscotting. It's just box moulding with standard chair rail attached to the dry wall and painted. If I'm not mistaken wainscotting is actual paneling that is attached to the wall.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the construction, so please don't hesitate to ask.
                        Sawhorse,
                        With regard to the chair rail and box moulding:
                        1. How high was your chair moulding installed?
                        2. What was your spacing measurements for the box moulding? How did you determine the spacing?

Thanks for your help! I hope to do something very similar in my dining room.

Comment

Very nice indeed! I'm facing a similar project with building one wall of shelves for my wife's "cookbook room". While I've built several bookcases in the past, I haven't done a "built-in" in many, many years and I must say that I'm quite impressed with the detail and overall look of your project.

The trim work is especially nice and such detail certainly brings a great amount of style and craftsmanship to the work.

I've not worked with "sandply" and obviously I need to take a look at this material. I was intending to do my project (also to me painted) with pine board, but your very nice workmanship tells me I should give my material a little more thought.

Thanks for sharing this,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by cswatson98 View Post
                            Sawhorse,
                            With regard to the chair rail and box moulding:
                            1. How high was your chair moulding installed?
                            2. What was your spacing measurements for the box moulding? How did you determine the spacing?

Thanks for your help! I hope to do something very similar in my dining room.
                            The chair rail and box moulding was actually builder installed, but I took some measurements and the chair rail (top) is approximately 36 inches from the floor. The spacing of the box moulding is 3 inches from the chair rail (bottom) and 3 inches from the top of the baseboard. Also the spacing in between each box is 3 inches.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Comment

very nice job.

Comment

Working...
                              X