Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS1400 upgrade worth it....

Hi all,

One of my Christmas presents this year was the Carter Guide Conversion kit (See Pic). I had always heard there was not really a big difference between blocks and bearings, and in fact I've read that blocks will steady the blade a bit better, particularly with larger blades. However, once I installed them the difference was astounding:

1. MUCH less 'grinding' noise. .

2. Blade tracking is much, much more stable. I cannot wait to try resawing with these things installed.

3. Setting the bearings after blade change is awesome. It's much easier and takes half the time, especially with the lower unit.

The only bad thing is the price. I checked the site and the kit is $179.00 (Thanks, Dad!) but in my opinion makes the saw much more precise and easier to use.

Zeno
    Attached Files
    “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Re: BS1400 upgrade worth it....

How difficult was it to put on, and how long did it take. Just wondering if it is a straight forward install, or is there some modification needed.

Thx JR
    Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Comment

No difficulty at all. They come completely assembled. The only thing I did was remove the table (2 bolts) to ease installation. It took about 30 minutes including the tune.

Zeno
      “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Sounds like it'll make changing blades easier. Do you find that to be true? It seems like I'll end up changing blades weekly to go from resaw to curve cutting.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

VASandy,

To me, blade changing is always a pain, but it is certainly faster with these guides. It's really the tuning procedure that is so easy....a single hex wrench adjusts all the bearings. I always had trouble adjusting the lower guides on the original set....my hands just could not easily get into that little space.

Just a note....after using them for a few days and through a few blade changes I found that I get even better stability if the guide bearings actually touch the blade (they roll, after all). This simplified the tuning even more.

Hope this helps...

Zeno

Comment

does that make the blade run too hot? You may want to watch out for heat causing metal fatigue. I'm certainly no expert, but that'd be a primary concern for me. Not that we elected you ginnie pig...but since you volunteered, just let us know how it goes. And be careful!!
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

"does that make the blade run too hot? "

Not at all. The bearings roll over the blade with almost zero friction. I would suspect it gets a little but nowhere near what blocks would do, even with occasional contact.

Zeno

Comment

I have had the Carter guides on mine since day 1. My saw never ran with the original blocks. I bought them both at the same time. I use my BS1400 mostly for resawing and cutting off the corners from turning blocks.
                I have a smaller 10" craftsman bandsaw for curves or small cuts like pen blanks.
                To me, the bearings are great. They are easy to adjust and quiet in operation.....worth it? is very subjective. I would say that it depends upon how much, hard, often you use your saw, coupled with budget. If you can afford them and you really use your saw....yes. If you only use it occasionally and/or don't resaw, they may not be the best investment.
                If you are a tool junkie, obsolutely. They are a nice product that you will not be sorry you bought.

Comment

Working...
                X