X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Drill Press - Decision?

I'm in the process of trying to decide on bench top drill press. I really don't have a need yet for a stand-up model, so I'm hoping a 10" or 12" will be a good all-around size. I narrowed my choices down to 2 different 12" drill presses.

One model is the Delta DP300L, http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-DP300L-1...9498801&sr=1-1

The other is a Sears Craftsman 21914, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=Drill+Presses

Lowes has the Delta drill press for 10% off and the Sears model is often on sale through the Craftsman Club, so they are basically around $160. The Sears model has more features like the fence stop, digital depth guage, etc. However, the Sears model has a very tall column as compared to the Delta. I was hoping to not build a separate stand. I often stay away from Craftsman power tools, but this one seems to have good reviews. I have a neighbor who has the Delta model and it seems pretty solid and the motor is quiet and smooth. I looked at other brands, but they all seem so similar, until you get up into the pro models. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by brianss; 01-04-2008, 10:15 PM.

Re: Bench Drill Press - Decision?

What are you planning to do with the drill press?
    I have a Delta 11-990 12" bench top drill press. I purchased it around January 1995!
    I have updated the drive belt with a power twist V-belt.

Other than that, I have never had any challenges with the tool.

I have used it for wood working, and metal working. I have drill through "stuff" from 1/64" thick to 10" thick, wood, plastic, steel, aluminum, pot metal, you name it I drilled it! I have used bits from 1/64" through 4" hole saws and even have attached the Delta mortise kit.

I also used it with sanding drums for a short while but realized it is stressing the bearings. I then picked up the Ridgid sanding system.

So, I have this tool for over 13 years! and no regrets.

The Craftsman VS Delta bench-top drill press is going to be a tough choice.

So, decide what you're going to use it for and that may help you go Craftsman or Delta

In the repairable aspect, I'd say lean more towards Delta.

Oh, I also added the Delta laser system to my drill press and even used a wall wart instead of batteries...clever and at times useful.

Cactus Man
    Last edited by cactusman; 01-04-2008, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I have the older version of the craftsman, I think the 21911 which is the same but without the digital display. It's ok I guess. Got it because it was realy cheap and got very good reviews. I don't really use it that much so it meets my needs fine but I'd say its a pretty decent machine. No complaints with it.

Comment

Have you looked at the 12" Ryobi also?

http://www.ryobitools.com/products

It looks like a nice drill press.

(EDIT) Very similar to the Craftsman

Comment

The Ryobi is also variable speed with digital RPM readout and, I believe, it comes with a vise. It also has a 2-year warranty and a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the reponses. It sounds like I can't go wrong with either one. I'm not a big fan of Ryobi tools, although I do have their miter stand for my Dewalt miter saw and it works great. Delta tends to have a long history of tools and the DP300L is just a newer version of the same drill press that they have been selling for years. I'm just looking for a drill press for multi-purposes, but mainly for wood working projects.

Comment

You would do well to take a look at the Jet JDP-15M but it may cost too much for your budget. This is alot more machine than the others but it's not a monster either.
              http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/Products...94&Part=354165

Comment

Thanks. The Jet JDP-15M looks like a really nice machine. I wonder if there is a local dealer, so I can check it out in person. The price isn't to bad. It's interesting how some vendors, like Jet, provide a straight forward machine with good specs and very few bells and whistle. Other vendors, like Sears, provide all of the extras, but include very little information on the actual machine.

Comment

This should help you find a dealer that may have one you can go see.
                  http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/Locate.a...rs&Part=354165

I like the JET in that it has a wide range of speeds, a nice table setup and a 15" rather than 10 or 12" capacity from the column to the center of what you're drilling. It's a more beefy machine and like you noticed it's not loaded down with fancy fluff. This is a nice one for doing metal and wood work on.

Comment

Working...
                  X