X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new ridgid lathe model

i am in the market for a new wood lathe. i am a beginner and would like something to help me learn as well as handle more advanced techinques when i learn them (outboard turning, fluting) so the ridgid lathe seems like a good choice for the money, but grizzly, jet, and delta make some pretty impressive machines as well for a few more buck (around $150 to $200 more) which seem to be heavier and offer more options later on down the line. if you could buy a new lathe in the $300 to $600 range which would it be and why?does ridgid plan to roll out a new cast iron bed lathe, maybe with outboard turning options and lathe duplication ability (without extensive modifications) in the near future-say within the next six to a year to compete with the other lathe brands mentioned earlier?
    Godspeed and wear those safety glasses...

If you can stretch that $600 a couple bucks more, Delta's new 46-715 iron bed lathe looks to be a killer. Capacity is 14x40, has a cast-iron head.

Don't forget to allow in your budget for tools and accessories. It is easy to spend another four, five hundred there.

Dave

Comment

I think you have to be real honest with yourself and your intentions when you buy a lathe. I bought the Ridgid thinking I would just make a few bowls and have it to turn legs for my furniture projects. It is one of the most addicting tools I have because you can make something pretty nice in a short period of time (bowls, pens, etc.).

For this type of use, the Ridgid works fine. From your post, it seems you are already looking for more (duplicating devices - implies a lot of use) to which I would reply, spend a little more money.

I don't believe this to be a major seller for Ridgid, so I would not expect to see many upgrades.

As the saying goes, if I knew now what I didn't know then, I would have bought one with variable speed as well as the options you listed.

I also agree with Dave on the accessories - don't skimp on the tools or a good chuck.

Comment

Two suggestions to think about. I took a lathe class at the local woodcraft here. Cost about 80 bucks or so but was able to spend time with an instructor on several different models before shelling out the money. One thing the instructor suggested was to get a cheap set of turning tools to start with. The reason being is that there are several different ways of turning the same thing and you will eventually develop a pattern and get a feel of a couple of tools that you really like. Once you figure out which tools you like, then go and spend some money on a nice version of just those tools. In the long run this is cheaper than buying alot of expensive tools that gather dust because you don't like them. The lathe that I got even came with a starter set of turning tools.

Comment

As I have said before in this forum. If I had to do it over again I would NOT have bought the Ridgid...Resaons: Not enough speeds, will not accept a duplicator..enough said.. I would have bought a DELTA..( in Ridgids defence; my mopter started raising hell [bearings] and RIDGID did replace the motor very quickly withiut any " maybe this or that". ) Warenty was GREAT, I do not know what any others would have done. dd

Comment

Working...
          X