Which RIDGID Planer to buy???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which RIDGID Planer to buy???

My local HD has the new 3 blade planer and also the older 2 blade one in stock. There is a $20 price difference in them. Also the older on comes with a stand and an extra set of knives. The new one has no extra knives nor a stand. So the question is which one do I buy?? I also noticed the new planer does not have a cuterhead lock on it. Any other major differencess I need to know? Thanks in advance for the info and/or suggstions.

Re: Which RIDGID Planer to buy???

I have the TP1300LS and I use it sporadically - not something that I use on an every day basis. In saying that, it is awfully nice to have a stand that goes along with it because I can move it to a vacant wall spot when not in use. Figure the leg stand and extra blades mean something, but then too, I haven't had the joy of an additional blade making smooth cuts on the wood either. Will say I am happy with my purchase over the last year. You're in a good spot, in that whatever first choice you make, if you don't like it you can go get the other. But, with something this heavy, it's probably better to make an educated selection up front. Good luck.

Comment

I was faced with the same choice and went for the TP1300. But I got mine a few months ago when the TP1300 was priced a bit lower. I thing I got it for about $300, as I recall.

I looked at it comparing the same advantages that you have listed; but, I also took into consideration the kind of work I plan on using the planer for. Basically, the reviews on the TP1300 have been very positive and I guess that was good enough for me. While technically three blades are better than two, I asked myself how much difference is that extra blade going to make... besides, I don't mine a little sanding (actually, I like it). The other thing was given consideration was that if you ever nick a blade, you will most likely nick the whole set, so my thought was that replacing two would be cheaper than replacing three. But that appears to be misguided thinking on my part as I understand the new 3-blade pack will be priced the same as the 2-blade pack. (Don't know why that is, but that's what Ridgid customer service quoted.)

So, either way I don't think you can go wrong. I understand the chip removal is redesigned for the R4330, and so it may be better than on the TP1300. I can't speak for any other advantages, one way or the other.

CWS

Comment

I own the new one and like it. Don't really miss the stand, as I clamp it to a portable workstation bench or the bench, then move it. It's sweet. I'll be using her this afternoon, as soon as I get out of this danged office.

I think the 3-blade design has an advantage over the 2-bladed systems. More cuts.

Comment

I guess for those that have the TP model is the dust collection decent when hooked up to a shop vac?

Comment

Originally posted by jdg05 View Post
            I guess for those that have the TP model is the dust collection decent when hooked up to a shop vac?
            I have mine (TP1300LS) hooked up to a Ridgid 6.5 hp/16 gallon and it does a good job of collecting the chips - and believe me without it there's a lot of chips. Worked with it once without the vac for a short job and won't do that again as it was a mess - the vac will miss some, but is relatively clean when I'm done. When it comes to wood chips, dust, and the like, nothing's perfect, but it does a good job. You don't know how well your vac is doing until that one time that you work without it. Then you'll forever take the time to hook up the vac.

Comment

Originally posted by jdg05 View Post
              I used a shop vac with an 11A motor (HP ratings are meaningless) with mine for a little while. It worked well enough. The problem is the canister will fill up in less than 5 minutes if you do much serious planing.

Comment

The new model has a re-designed dust collection system, which works very nicely with my 5 Gal shopvac. The infeed area spews back some dust and clippage, and that apparently can't be avoided. I set up a backstop behind the work piece and lay down a piece of newspaper. When done, I dump the the paper and vacuum up.

These planers do make chips fast.

Comment

I have the new one. I didn't want the stand because I already had one made for it on wheels that had some storage. The cut quality is pretty darn good and the chip collection is very good with my 16 gal shop vac.

Comment

I have the 2 blade model and love it. I put my Ridgid oscillating sander on the stand that came with it and the planer on a cabinet with wheels that way I can move the planer easily and the sander seldom has to be moved. My 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                    X