X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router bits

Does anyone have experience with the router bits from 'Oak Park Enterprises' as used on and sold thru the TV program "Router Workshop" - seen on Public Television?

No experiance with these bits, but I have come upon the conclusion all bits come from the same plant overseas no matter what anybody says. I read a rather interesting article about router bits a few months ago in I believe Popular Woodworking. In short the author said that it was his experiance that for the most part you will only use any given router bit once or twice, in which case you'll find that the inexpensive carbide bits will work just fine. If you do run accross a particular bit you really like and will use more than once then go out and find a better quality one at that point. I hunted around and found that you can spend anywhere from $3.00 to $33.00 or more per bit in kits of 6 to 60, with the same protective coating and little wood box to hold them all. Only difference seemed to be in the paint or lack of on the $3.00 ones. I bought a 30 piece set from MLCS for $99.00 and as of this point I have no regrets, I have used 2 of them extensivly and several others once, sort of. So there you go, my 2 cents worth on the subject.

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: DCH ]
    It\'s not the quantity or quality of your tools that matters....<br />It\'s all in the firewood that\'s left over.....

Comment

DCH, you should put a little winkie face after such an outrageous statement as that (all from the same plant). Go down to Oldsmar, Florida and you can visit the Jesada plant. If you're in Italy some time, check out Freud and CMT. And so forth.

I can definitely tell the difference between a first rate and a lower quality bit. I refuse to use low quality product, but maybe that's just me.

Sorry Bob, but I don't know anything about what the Rosendahl's are selling.

Comment

Well it made sense to me when I wrote it. What I really meant to say was that all of the router bit sets in the nice little wood boxes, I suspect, all come from the same plant (beware prices vary allot). I apologize to all of the quality mfg's out there for grouping them into my blanket statement. When researching my purchase I noticed that most of the sets I looked at all came in the exact same box, and the appearance of the bit was the same, there was no individualism to the bit, other than a different color paint, yet the price varied widely. Since I was making my purchase specifically based on what I could afford and wanting to get the best bang for my $$ the similarity became more apparent to me as I went. I believe in the article I mentioned above, that the author named the direct manufactures of some of the better quality bits, I also saw the TOH episode where they went to Jesada, Freud stands to reason, and I've never been able to hold a CMT bit in my hand, so I'll take your word on that one. So with that I'll take my wet noodle whipping.

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: DCH ]

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: DCH ]
        It\'s not the quantity or quality of your tools that matters....<br />It\'s all in the firewood that\'s left over.....

Comment

Working...
        X